"Bahamas" Top 5 Page for this destination The Bahamas by traveldave

The Bahamas Travel Guide: 2,017 reviews and 4,556 photos

The Bahamas is a country where most travelers go to relax in the sun, although there are interesting historical, architectural, and cultural attractions to see and enjoy. My travels usually involve nonstop sightseeing, exploration, and participation in various activities. Here, I went to relax, although I did do some sightseeing and shopping.

Geographically, the Bahamas is not a part of the Caribbean, but it is generally classified as a Caribbean country since the local culture is similar to other Caribbean cultures. The country is made up of about 700 islands, most of which are uninhabited. The water in and around the islands is relatively shallow (the name Bahamas is derived from baja mar, which is Spanish for "shallow sea") and this, coupled with a sandy bottom, results in the water being very warm and an incredible turquoise blue.

Most of the hotels and resorts are situated on New Providence Island (where the capital, Nassau, is located), Paradise Island, and Grand Bahama Island.

• Last visit to The Bahamas: Jul 1997
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Interesting tips on the Bahamas, especially the historical background.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Popped by to find some sunshine & found many fine buildings = nice virtual tour for me

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 4:33 PM

Good assortment of helpful tips here Dave. Hans and I were here once as it was one of the stops on our cruise. As you say, it is very touristy. I love Bahama Mamas. mmm

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 12:05 PM

The song of Bonney M "Bahama Mama" have emerged out of my memory while reading your page... I can imagine how beautiful this place is... Thanks David for the virtual trip!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Really enjoyed a second view, especially your mangrove swamp adventure, Fort Fincastle, and Queen's Staircase. We used to own land in the Bahamas, but sold it about ten years ago. We've been 3 times and really enjoyed it. But, I learned new info from you.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM

I've never paid too much attention to The Bahamas, so it was great to see what you thought of it! Tours of the old forts and the botanical garden sound interesting. Nice to see you canoeing the mangrove swamps - must get mine out for a paddle tomorrow!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Good tips on the islands! There is something more than Just sun and relax! I like both forts.

• Aug 12, 2006 at 2:40 PM

Awsome! Exactly what I needed! Thanks!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 8:13 AM

Very good tips & photos. I have been to Nassau several times on cruises & always find something new. My family & I love to eat at "Murray's" near the Atlantis.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 1:09 PM

I would love to see Fort Fincastle and Fort Charlotte--history fascinates me. Thanks for the great tips, David!!

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in The Bahamas

Have you been to The Bahamas?

Latest Activity in The Bahamas