"Bahamas" Top 5 Page for this destination The Bahamas by traveldave
The Bahamas Travel Guide: 2,037 reviews and 4,624 photos
The Bahamas is a country where most travelers go to relax in the sun, although there are interesting historical, architectural, and cultural attractions to see and enjoy. My travels usually involve nonstop sightseeing, exploration, and participation in various activities. Here, I went to relax, although I did do some sightseeing and shopping.
Geographically, the Bahamas is not a part of the Caribbean, but it is generally classified as a Caribbean country since the local culture is similar to other Caribbean cultures. The country is made up of about 700 islands, most of which are uninhabited. The water in and around the islands is relatively shallow (the name Bahamas is derived from baja mar, which is Spanish for "shallow sea") and this, coupled with a sandy bottom, results in the water being very warm and an incredible turquoise blue.
Most of the hotels and resorts are situated on New Providence Island (where the capital, Nassau, is located), Paradise Island, and Grand Bahama Island.
The area that was to become Nassau was first settled in 1606, and was called Charles Town at the time. In 1695 the town... more travel advice
Rawson Square is situated at the center of Nassau, directly inland from the Prince George Wharf. The square was named... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
The Bahamas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island Time"
- "Freeport & Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island"
- "Cruise Trip to the Bahama Island"
- "Grand Bahama Island"
- "The Bahamas - When you think of Paradise"
- "The Bahamas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Bahamas
- Hotels in The Bahamas
- Transportation in The Bahamas
- Nightlife in The Bahamas
- Restaurants in The Bahamas
- Shopping in The Bahamas
- Warnings and Dangers in The Bahamas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Bahamas
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to The Bahamas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Bahamas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue