"Kazakhstan" Top 5 Page for this destination Kazakhstan by traveldave
Kazakhstan Travel Guide: 674 reviews and 1,504 photos
Kazakhstan, a huge country spanning from the Caspian Sea in the west to the Chinese border in the east, is the eighth-largest country in the world. Formerly part of the Soviet Union, it gained its independence in 1991 after the break-up of the Soviet Union. Many ethnic Russians remained, and currently make up about 34 percent of the population. The Kazakhs are the largest ethnic group in the country, making up 46 percent of the population. The rest of the people are Ukrainians, Turkmens, Uzbeks, and others. The official language is Kazakh, although most people speak Russian, especially in the cities.
I spent nine days in Kazakhstan in May 2005 when I traveled there on a birdwatching trip. I spent a very short period in Almaty, the country's largest city and former capital, and spent most of my time in wilderness areas in Kazakhstan's deserts, steppes, and mountains in search of as many bird species as possible. Kazakhstan is a beautiful country, offering spectacular vistas of deserts, steppes, and towering snow-capped mountains.
Since Kazakhstan is a country that few people visit (although eco-tourism is becoming increasingly popular), and since I spent most of my time in the countryside, I have included most of my tips under the "Off The Beaten Path" category.
The arid Sugaty Plain lies east of Almaty. Most travelers will have no reason to visit the Sugaty Plain unless passing... more travel advice
Located in Tamgaly Gorge in the Chu-Ili Mountains northwest of Almaty, the Tamgaly Archaeological Complex features the... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Kazakhstan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Long Way From Anywhere"
- "rythm_divine's new Kazakstan Page"
- "Pennyrama's new Kazakstan Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kazakhstan
- Hotels in Kazakhstan
- Transportation in Kazakhstan
- Nightlife in Kazakhstan
- Restaurants in Kazakhstan
- Shopping in Kazakhstan
- Warnings and Dangers in Kazakhstan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kazakhstan
- 19 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Kazakhstan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kazakhstan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue