"West Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia by traveldave

West Virginia Travel Guide: 1,053 reviews and 2,726 photos

In his song, Take Me Home, Country Roads, John Denver describes West Virginia as "almost heaven." I experienced a little slice of heaven when I moved to West Virginia in 2012, the eighth state in which I have lived. Before I moved here, I visited the state often, as my brother moved here a few years ago. So far, I have only been to the Morgantown area, Charleston (the state capital), Wheeling, Weston, and many areas off the beaten path. These visits are reflected in my tips and pictures on this page. I look forward to learning about and exploring more areas of my new home, and will be posting new tips and pictures as my travels take me to new corners of this wild and wonderful state.

• Last visit to West Virginia: Mar 2014
  • Intro Updated Mar 3, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM

When I was a child I went through West Virginia on what was then the C&O railroad between Chicago and Washington. They had floodlights mounted on the train so we could see a bit of the scenery even after dark.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Lots of scenic places I would love to explore here. We have Charleston in Australia, only population would be about 500 people!
    Good page!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Very interesting tips on the retired Penitentiary and the ancient burial mound! I was intrigued enough by W. Va. to make a visit many years ago. Nice additions with Coopers Rock State Forest & Morgantown! Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum - very impressive!

• terible22's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Never been to Wheeling, I stayed in Summersville 2 months ago. Nice Page

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 10:30 AM

A very interesting tip about the West Virginia Penitentiary. This prison looks like a middle age castle. I would like to experience "Life on the Inside." Thanks David!

• Doctor38's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 1:58 AM

Nice page, thanks for sharing

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 4:44 AM

The Grave Creek Mound sounds interesting to me. Amazing how they were able to build such huge mounds and they didn't even have a backhoe!! We visited Wheeling many years ago to check out the Casino there.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Great little page about West Virginia. I know very little about this state so appreciated learning so much. How many Mandonna's of the Trail have you seen? I've only seen one.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2007 at 4:31 AM

Very nice pages on West Virginia, Dave...thanks!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2004 at 1:30 PM

an interesting page & great pics, David !

traveldave Used To Live Here!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in West Virginia

Have you been to West Virginia?

Latest Activity in West Virginia