"Wisconsin" Top 5 Page for this destination Wisconsin by traveldave

Wisconsin Travel Guide: 2,417 reviews and 4,090 photos

Wisconsin is one of my favorite states, and when I lived in northern Illinois only a few miles from the Wisconsin-Illinois state line, I visited the state often.

Milwaukee, the largest city in Wisconsin, was only an hour's drive from where I used to live. Milwaukee is an interesting city with a lot to see and do. However, my favorite aspect of the state is the scenic beauty of the countryside. Where I used to live in Illinois, the land is flat and nondescript, but in Wisconsin the terrain is characterized by gently rolling hills covered with forests and pastures. Wisconsin is "America's Dairlyland," so there are many picturesque dairy farms with their red barns and tall silos set among the hills. Many times when I visited Wisconsin, I did not have a particular destination in mind and I just went wherever the road took me.

Wisconsin is also noted for its beer and cheese. Miller, Old Style, and Leinenkugel are major brands of beer that are brewed in the state. Visitors who drive through the countryside will see many roadside cheese shops that sell all kinds of quality Wisconsin cheese.

• Last visit to Wisconsin: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I've never been to Milwaukee, but when I was growing up in Illinois we used to go to Wisconsin every summer. One of my uncles had a cottage on Lake Tomahawk, near Minocqua. Later I had some great times in Madison -- a lovely city!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 12:24 PM

You showcase Wisconsin well here with lots of detail of its past history! Enjoyed the virtual tour

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Worth a 2nd look. Wonderful pages on Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee and Madison. Love your emphasis on architecture. Enjoy Pabst Theater (we had season tickets there for about 5 years), the Bridge War, & Mitchell Park.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 4:15 PM

I've been to Wisconsin twice, so your excellent tips were especially interesting to me! I couldn't agree more about taking the back-roads while exploring new territory. I'm sorry I missed the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory in my wanderings!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Enjoyed your Wisconsin page Dave. Hans and I, along with some VT friends visited Milwaukee a few months ago. Visited Pabst Mansion which was a thrill.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Great page, David! Milwaukee City Hall with its 107m and age of 1895 as well as Faison Building impress a lot. Who knows, may be one day... Thanks for sharing!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2004 at 1:51 PM

Your intro is the perfect summary of Wisconsin. I've spent a lot of time in this state but somehow have never made it to Milwaukee! Great tip on the Miller Brewing Co!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2004 at 6:12 PM

One of these days I'm going to have to stop and take a look at the Mars Cheese Castle, if only to take a photo.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 2:51 PM

That European Schnitzelhaus even has an Austrian Flag - lets hope, they know how to make Wiener Schnitzel ;-))

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2004 at 2:13 PM

You paint a great opening intro of this state. What an amazing Art Museum. Love the old theatre, so much history. So many great tips Dave, no wonder you enjoy this State.

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Wisconsin

Have you been to Wisconsin?

Latest Activity in Wisconsin