"Vermont" Top 5 Page for this destination Vermont by traveldave

Vermont Travel Guide: 854 reviews and 1,740 photos

This page is about a wonderful state where I grew up as a boy. From 1968 to 1977, I lived with my family in Peacham, a small village of 400 people nestled in the hills of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.

Vermont is one of the most rural states, and when I was a boy I had fields, woods, pastures, lakes, and streams to explore. I learned how to hunt, fish, camp, and live in the wilderness. Because I lived so far out in the country, I grew up with an appreciation of nature and scenic beauty. Life then was a lot simpler than it is today. We had a wood-burning stove for heat in the winter, and in the First Grade I attended one of the last remaining one-room schoolhouses in the country.

Since moving away from Vermont, I have lived in large cities and small Midwestern towns. However, I will never forget Vermont or the wonderful life I lived there.

• Last visit to Vermont: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

• Oct 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Just an FYI. The Canadians are the largest exporter of maple syrup. Roughly only 17% of the maple syrup on the global market comes from Vermont. My family and I work a small bush, just wanted to give the heads up. Can't touch the Canadians in production.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Interesting, enjoyed reading about your experiences there.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Dave, in many ways, it seems that your wonderful Vermont page reflects my life growing up in nearby New Brunswick, Canada! I especially enjoyed your early years at Hill House, as well as the Planetarium and your love of Maple syrup!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 7:21 PM

A fun page. I think that comment about the ease it takes to get across the USA/Canada border needs updating however.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Visiting Vermont is on my wish list and you presented it very well, especially Peachman a lovely, typical Vermont town. Sounds like fun to stand with one foot in each country. Also thanks for stopping by my Cuba, Varadero & Sounio pages.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Very interesting "off the beaten path" tips! A View From your Hill House and a quarter-mile to dirt road are very touching. I wish we had such an American-Russian border like Canadian one. Thanks David for sharing!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 3:46 PM

Enjoyed updates. Oh, Dave, I so enjoyed reading about your time in Vermont. It's obvious from your writing that you loved it there and no wonderful. Absolutely beautiful as your fine photographs demonstrate.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2005 at 7:20 AM

Great page on Vermont... seems a great place to visit... I did not see much snow though... still seems very lovely place... good tips...

• Jul 13, 2004 at 7:45 AM

Great tips for Northeast Kingdom, VT travelers. Bit heavy on childhood home in Peacham. That's VT in it's essence! Like Key West, "a state of mind"..... Lived there for 2 years & loved every minute - like you did!? :)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 4:44 PM

an interesting page and great pics ! That Marple syrup-tour sounds interesting !

traveldave Used To Live Here!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Vermont

Have you been to Vermont?

Latest Activity in Vermont