"Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohio by traveldave

Ohio Travel Guide: 3,804 reviews and 8,628 photos

The area that would one day become Ohio was initially occupied by American Indians of the Wyandot, Delaware, Miami, and Shawnee tribes. The region was visited by French explorer Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle in 1669. France claimed the area in 1682. Starting around 1730, traders from the British colonies of Pennsylvania and Virginia entered the region, and the French fought to keep them out. France relinquished its claim to Ohio in 1763, and ceded the territory to the British. During the American Revolution, George Rogers Clark seized British posts and held the region until Britain gave up its claim pursuant to the terms of the Treaty of Paris in 1783. Ohio became American territory after the American Revolution.

My travels in Ohio include a visit to Columbus in October 2002 as I crossed the state on the way back from a road trip to the East Coast. I went back to Ohio in March 2003, and visited Cincinnati and Dayton, the state's second- and fourth-largest metropolitan areas, respectively. Since then, I have crossed the state several times, traveling from Indiana to visit relatives in West Virginia

• Last visit to Ohio: Apr 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2013

Travelogues (1)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 3:16 AM

A very nice overview of Ohio and its history! Like you, I've only had a few visits to the state - a long-ago meeting in Cleveland and a night in Toledo in 2007 as my wife and I drove through enjoying the beautiful countryside! Nice updates.

• terible22's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 11:13 AM

I have been to Ohio and enjoy ed it, My Daughter still lives there in Jamestown.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Ohio has a lot to interest the visitor = liked the museums & agree playing and learning go hand in hand with children = enjoyed the virtual tour!!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Great job on Ohio, David! A view from Mount Adams in Cincinnati is really beautiful. If I could I would certainly visit the Wright Brothers Memorial in Dayton (I work in the Civil Aviation University). Thanks for virtual travel!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 4:49 AM

Hans and I really like Ohio, esp. the Amish area of Berlin and Walnut Creek. Never visited Cincinnatti, though we usually pass through it on the 75 on the way south.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 4:24 AM

an interesting page & great pics, Dave ! Thanks for sharing !

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 8:24 AM

Does Columbus have anything to do with Christopher?

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 8:41 AM

Dave, really enjoyed your indepth tips about Ohio. I was looking for info about Dayton and Columbus and appreciate finding the helpful tips on your site.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 9:47 PM

Gosh Ohio is sure in the news a lot tonight:-).. Columbus certainly has a lot of parks to enjoy. The Museum of Discovery has lots to offer. Some interesting cities there.

• Sandi-2004's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2004 at 11:11 AM

Hi Dave, You've taken a novel approach in developing your pages. You must be a history buff. I like the idea of an overview of each state. And the flag photos are great. Best wishes from San Francisco.

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Ohio