"Ohio" Top 5 Page for this destination Ohio by traveldave
Ohio Travel Guide: 3,852 reviews and 8,930 photos
The area that would one day become Ohio was initially occupied by American Indians of the Wyandot, Delaware, Miami, and Shawnee tribes. The region was visited by French explorer Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle in 1669. France claimed the area in 1682. Starting around 1730, traders from the British colonies of Pennsylvania and Virginia entered the region, and the French fought to keep them out. France relinquished its claim to Ohio in 1763, and ceded the territory to the British. During the American Revolution, George Rogers Clark seized British posts and held the region until Britain gave up its claim pursuant to the terms of the Treaty of Paris in 1783. Ohio became American territory after the American Revolution.
My travels in Ohio include a visit to Columbus in October 2002 as I crossed the state on the way back from a road trip to the East Coast. I went back to Ohio in March 2003, and visited Cincinnati and Dayton, the state's second- and fourth-largest metropolitan areas, respectively. Since then, I have crossed the state several times, traveling from Indiana to visit relatives in West Virginia
Located 13 miles (21 kilometers) south of downtown Cincinnati in northern Kentucky, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky... more travel advice
The Dayton Art Institute was founded in 1919 as the Dayton Museum of Fine Arts. Its works were originally housed in a... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Ohio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "History, Architecture, Cemeteries, Bridges, Amish"
- "Ohio Back Roads and Byways"
- "I must be homesick."
- "Ohio Springtime"
- "Never really had time to slow down to enjoy it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ohio
- Hotels in Ohio
- Transportation in Ohio
- Nightlife in Ohio
- Restaurants in Ohio
- Shopping in Ohio
- Warnings and Dangers in Ohio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ohio
- 17 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Ohio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ohio
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 39 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue