"Minnesota" Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota by traveldave

Minnesota Travel Guide: 2,883 reviews and 5,537 photos

In January 2005, I traveled to Duluth, Minnesota with a group of birdwatchers to see and experience an unprecedented irruption of owls from northern Canada. An irruption occurs every several years and is caused by a cyclical reduction in the vole population in the owls' natural range. During these years, the owls migrate to more southerly areas where food sources are more plentiful. On my trip, I saw four species of owls in one day: northern hawk-owl, great gray owl, boreal owl, and snowy owl.

Since this was a birdwatching trip, and because I was traveling with a group which was focused mainly on seeing birds, I was not able to visit or photograph many of the sights in the area, but I did take some pictures of the muskeg and forests I visited.

Later in 2005, I went to Minneapolis for a five-day business trip. Of course, I took some time to visit and photograph some of the sights and attractions in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul to round out my page about the North Star State.

• Last visit to Minnesota: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2012

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2008 at 1:44 PM

Wow :) that is some shopping mall you describe here & I do like the translation of Laughing Waters = enjoyed the virtual tour

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Very interesting and informative page! The Cathedral of Saint Paul looks like his brother in London. Didn't know that -43C is possible in Minnesota. Shops like Mall are occupying Moscow these years. We could hardly think about it in Soviet times. Th David

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 5:27 AM

What a great page on Minnesota Dave. I was esp. impressed with the State Capital building, St. Paul Cathedral & Fort Snelling. Windsor also has a very popular sculpture Garden along the Detroit River.

• CeciliaL's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Hi Dave, thanks for visiting Minnesota!! I am missing Minneapolis.....

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 6:35 PM

You write wonderful tips, Dave; the way they should be written with valuable information, helpful insights, and photos to match. Top notch, and St. Paul and Minneapolis should pay you for this positive travel information!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2005 at 6:32 PM

Nicely done page. I sort of think of Minnesota for the fishing and the state that gave us Bob Dylan.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 5:43 AM

Gosh I didn't realise the meaning of the name:-) . Lovely architecture, the Weisman Art Museum has an interesting look. I bet you just loved Sax-Zim Bog:-).

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 2:47 PM

Excellent page Dave! i liked all your new pictures very much,Minneapolis looks beautiful with all this nice architecture and green parks!!!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2002 at 6:56 AM

Nice pix of the planes.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2002 at 9:46 AM

Flying NWA will put you here a lot!

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Minnesota

Have you been to Minnesota?

Latest Activity in Minnesota