"Massachusetts" Top 5 Page for this destination Massachusetts by traveldave

Massachusetts Travel Guide: 7,408 reviews and 16,827 photos

When I lived in New England many years ago, I used to go to Massachusetts, especially Boston, fairly often with my family. I can remember attending Boston Red Sox games at Fenway Park on hot summer afternoons, and I remember looking up in amazement at the tall skyscrapers in Boston's Financial District.

A few years later, when I lived in Vermont, my class went on field trips to Boston on two different occasions. On one trip, we visited the Museum of Science, and on the other trip we went to the New England Aquarium.

After I moved out west, I did not return to Massachusetts for more than 25 years. I visited again in October 2002, and made a point of seeing many of the modern and historic sights and attractions in Boston.

Boston is where the United States was born, and is perhaps the most historic city in the nation, but at the same time it is a modern, dynamic city. I have basically organized this page to highlight some of Boston's modern sights and attractions first, followed by the must-see historical buildings and monuments.

I returned to Massachusetts in November 2013 for work training. I spent a week in Salem, known for its witch trials in the 1600s, and although I did not have a lot of time for sightseeing, I did manage to see some of the historical attractions in downtown Salem.

• Last visit to Massachusetts: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It was interesting to read your texts on Massachusetts and especially Boston. In earlier years I went to Massachusetts fairly often to visit friends and relatives, but haven’t been back for over thirty years now.
    (Somehow I had never heard about the numerous engineering flaws during the construction of the John Hancock Tower.)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 1:52 AM

Nice look back at Massachusetts history - I have read the story of the Boston ducklings in class the children loved this cute tale.

• donpaul77's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 6:38 AM

Nice stuff on Boston, especially your summarized history. It's a good guide for the first time visitor. I'm a native and still haven't visited some of these places!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Great introduction to Boston, which I know very few. The Granite obelisque reminded me Egyptian obelisques. They are fashionable since Egyptian times. There a lot of them in Moscow. Thanks David for a virtual travel.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Interesting page on Massachusetts / Boston. Hans and I visited this area many years ago, but concentrated more on the Cape Cod / Martha's Vineyard area.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Another great page about one of our states with detailed information, helpful hints, intelligent observations, and superior photographs to match.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2005 at 1:45 PM

My husband and I have talked about visiting Massachusetts--your photos convince me of it! Nice job and detail.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 5:35 AM

I'd really love to visit this State. Boston especially has always been of interest and moreso from your tips. Definitely been too long Dave. A big Howdy:-)

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 9:57 AM

Lived here for 30+ years. Makes me smile to see you included the "Big Dig" under warnings or dangers. You aren't kidding... it's a downright nightmare. Tourists please be aware, I beg you don't drive in Boston. Not worth it.

• gilescorey's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 3:28 PM

fantastic page...very informative.

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Massachusetts

Have you been to Massachusetts?

Latest Activity in Massachusetts