"Kentucky" Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky by traveldave
Kentucky Travel Guide: 2,308 reviews and 5,942 photos
I first visited Kentucky in October 2002. It was the first new state I had visited in over 20 years. I was visiting my brother in Bloomington, Indiana (where I had lived for a few years before moving to West Virginia), and since Bloomington is only about a two-hour's drive from northern Kentucky, I decided to make the trip to visit my 46th state. Since then, I have returned to Kentucky several times while driving through to other destinations, and to visit different parts of the state.
Kentucky was originally inhabited by American Indians of the Shawnee, Wyandot, Delaware, and Cherokee tribes. It was first explored by Thomas Walker and Christopher Gist between 1750 and 1751, and was the first area west of the Allegheny Mountains settled by pioneers. The first permanent settlement was Harrodsburg in 1774, and in 1775 Daniel Boone blazed the Wilderness Trail through the Cumberland Gap and founded Fort Boonesborough. In 1792, Virginia relinquished its claim to the area, and Kentucky became the fifteenth American state.
Nowadays, Kentucky is noted for its Bourbon whiskey (95 percent of the Bourbon whiskey produced in the United States comes from Kentucky), rolling hills of bluegrass, and the breeding and racing of Thoroughbred horses (the Kentucky Derby takes place in Louisville).
Frankfort is the capital of Kentucky, as well as the county seat of Franklin County. It is a pleasant small city... more travel advice
Daniel Boone's Grave is situated on a ridge in Frankfort Cemetery overlooking the small city of Frankfort. He died in... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Kentucky Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kentucky: My Parent's Home in Retirement"
- "My Old Kentucky Home"
- "Kentucky Back Roads and Byways"
- "THE BLUEGRASS STATE"
- "Eastern Kentucky a Whole other world!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kentucky
- Hotels in Kentucky
- Transportation in Kentucky
- Nightlife in Kentucky
- Restaurants in Kentucky
- Shopping in Kentucky
- Warnings and Dangers in Kentucky
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kentucky
- 25 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Kentucky?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kentucky
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue