"Kentucky" Top 5 Page for this destination Kentucky by traveldave

Kentucky Travel Guide: 2,234 reviews and 5,703 photos

I first visited Kentucky in October 2002. It was the first new state I had visited in over 20 years. I was visiting my brother in Bloomington, Indiana (where I had lived for a few years before moving to West Virginia), and since Bloomington is only about a two-hour's drive from northern Kentucky, I decided to make the trip to visit my 46th state. Since then, I have returned to Kentucky several times while driving through to other destinations, and to visit different parts of the state.

Kentucky was originally inhabited by American Indians of the Shawnee, Wyandot, Delaware, and Cherokee tribes. It was first explored by Thomas Walker and Christopher Gist between 1750 and 1751, and was the first area west of the Allegheny Mountains settled by pioneers. The first permanent settlement was Harrodsburg in 1774, and in 1775 Daniel Boone blazed the Wilderness Trail through the Cumberland Gap and founded Fort Boonesborough. In 1792, Virginia relinquished its claim to the area, and Kentucky became the fifteenth American state.

Nowadays, Kentucky is noted for its Bourbon whiskey (95 percent of the Bourbon whiskey produced in the United States comes from Kentucky), rolling hills of bluegrass, and the breeding and racing of Thoroughbred horses (the Kentucky Derby takes place in Louisville).

• Last visit to Kentucky: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I spent nearly a year in Kentucky while I was stationed at Fort Knox. But don't think I saw any of the things that you show in your tips.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 6:56 AM

I had no idea Louisville had so much to offer. Hans and I usually take the loop around the city to get to the I-65 on our way to Mississippi.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Ah now I know where Fort Knox is located - Loved the early settler's log cabin and all the history you have included here

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2006 at 12:42 AM

Very interesting and informative page! I didn't know that Louisville was named for King Louis XVI of France... We've almost forget about the role of France in the history of the USA. Thanks for sharing!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 9:44 AM

As you know, Dave, My parents lived in KY for 17 yrs., & I love the state. You've done a marvelous job with your choices, photos, and detailed narratives. Enjoyable and educational.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 2:43 PM

I didn't know the Crown jewels had ended up in Fort Knox during the war!

• miner's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 8:11 AM

Excellent tour of Louisville and surounding communities. I go through Louisville several timesa year but never stop. I am sure missing a lot,Thanks Dave!!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2004 at 6:33 AM

Thanks for your wonderful page on Kentucky !

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2004 at 9:22 PM

I really like the Main Street program in the US... really gets into restoring towns.I love the sound of the Speed Art Museum. Such great and interesting history. I always think of horse racing when I think of Kentucky.

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 11:11 PM

Thanks to visit my Siem Reap page, Dave. I truely appreciate it :)

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Kentucky

Have you been to Kentucky?

Latest Activity in Kentucky