"Illinois" Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois by traveldave

Illinois Travel Guide: 8,151 reviews and 17,346 photos

I lived in Illinois for 12 years, including nine years in Chicago and three years in Peoria in central Illinois. Because I spent most of my time in the Chicago area, I will limit most of this page to some of the sights and attractions of the "Windy City."

Chicago is a huge city, sprawling from the Wisconsin state line in the north, down into northwest Indiana in the south. The metropolitan area is about 70 miles (113 kilometers) from north to south and 40 miles (64 kilometers) from east to west. There are about 9,800,000 people in the greater Chicagoland area, making it the third-largest metropolitan area in the United States, after New York City and Los Angeles.

Most of Chicago's attractions are located in the downtown, or Chicago Loop, area, which is situated on the shores of Lake Michigan. Visitors, therefore, do not necessarily need a car in order to see most of Chicago's sights.

The best time to visit is in the spring or autumn, when the weather is pleasantly warm. Otherwise, Chicago has some of the worst weather in the country, with Arctic-like winters and tropic-like heat and humidity in the summer.

• Last visit to Illinois: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2012

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Hi Dave, thanks for some great tips the starting of the fire sounds as absurd as the great fire of london 1666 started in a bakery at pudding lane but only killed a dozen people & wiped out most of the city!

• terible22's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2008 at 7:04 AM

Nice page and helpful tips!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Informative and well-written tips on Chicago. Thanks for including the Lyric Opera. My father used to work in one of the squalid little buildings that were torn down to make room for the Sears Tower.

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 8:04 AM

Great overview David! Greetings from Germany,Peter

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 4:07 AM

Nice page I do like the green spaces you have included here & the local customs are interesting = such a big city to write about I have to return if only virtually

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Wow! You covered most of what the great city of Chicago has to offer. Hans and I really like Chicago and I'm not usually a big fan of big cities. Thanks for visiting my Calofornia page Dave.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2007 at 5:42 AM

Great chicago page, someday I have to dig through my old pics and build one.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 9:43 PM

That view from the skydeck is absolutely great. thanks ;-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 6:42 PM

An honest evaluation of our state with lots of historic and architectual features. I agree with the sites and sights you covered. Bravo!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 3:10 AM

Thanks David for very interesting and detailed page about Illinois. Sears Tower still impresses. Dream to visit Skydeck oneday as the lakefront of Lake Michigan... Spasibo!

traveldave Used To Live Here!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Illinois

Have you been to Illinois?

Latest Activity in Illinois