"Delaware" Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware by traveldave
Delaware Travel Guide: 848 reviews and 1,560 photos
I first passed through Delaware in 1965, when I was too young to remember anything about the state. I returned 46 years later, in May 2011, to visit a couple of wildlife refuges with the hope of seeing some birds I had never seen before, and to see some of the sights and attractions in Dover, the state capital. I returned again in December 2011 to look for winter seabirds off the coast. I did have a little spare time, so I visited the pleasant seaside communuty of Lewes.
Delaware was named after Thomas West, the third Baron De La Warr, an English nobleman and the first colonial governor of Virginia. Originally settled by the Dutch, and later coming under British control, Delaware was one of the original Thirteen Colonies. After the United States gained its independence, Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution, giving rise to its nickname of "The First State."
Nowadays, Delaware is the second-smallest state after Rhode Island. Many people who travel to the state come from the nearby cities of Baltimore and Philadelphia to spend their vacations on its long sandy beaches and in its beach communites which lie along the Atlantic coast. However, Delaware has other attractions, including historical sites, wildlife refuges for birdwatchers and those interested in nature, and a large annual NASCAR event which attracts tens of thousands of racing fans.
Lewes is the earliest European settlement in Delaware, and boasts that it is the "First Town in the First State."... more travel advice
The Zwaanendael Museum features exhibits pertaining to the maritime, military, and social history of Sussex County and... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Delaware Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delaware Travel"
- "DELAWARE--The First State"
- "What did Della wear boys, what did Della wear?"
- "Just Passing Through"
- "Delaware, Disc Golf, and Dogfish Head"
- "kathycollins's Delaware Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delaware
- Hotels in Delaware
- Transportation in Delaware
- Nightlife in Delaware
- Restaurants in Delaware
- Shopping in Delaware
- Warnings and Dangers in Delaware
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Delaware
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Delaware?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delaware
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top Delaware hotels
- Newark Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 52 Photos
- Wilmington Hotels
- 137 Reviews - 176 Photos
- Bear Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 26 Photos
- Rehoboth Beach Hotels
- 121 Reviews - 167 Photos
- Winterthur Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 59 Photos
- Dover Hotels
- 151 Reviews - 352 Photos
- Dewey Beach Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 106 Photos
- Bethany Beach Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 97 Photos
- New Castle Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 52 Photos
- Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Fort Delaware State Park Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 29 Photos
- Lewes Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 66 Photos
- Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Seaford Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Beaver Brook Apartments Hotels
- See nearby hotels