"Delaware" Top 5 Page for this destination Delaware by traveldave

Delaware Travel Guide: 855 reviews and 1,564 photos

I first passed through Delaware in 1965, when I was too young to remember anything about the state. I returned 46 years later, in May 2011, to visit a couple of wildlife refuges with the hope of seeing some birds I had never seen before, and to see some of the sights and attractions in Dover, the state capital. I returned again in December 2011 to look for winter seabirds off the coast. I did have a little spare time, so I visited the pleasant seaside communuty of Lewes.

Delaware was named after Thomas West, the third Baron De La Warr, an English nobleman and the first colonial governor of Virginia. Originally settled by the Dutch, and later coming under British control, Delaware was one of the original Thirteen Colonies. After the United States gained its independence, Delaware became the first state to ratify the United States Constitution, giving rise to its nickname of "The First State."

Nowadays, Delaware is the second-smallest state after Rhode Island. Many people who travel to the state come from the nearby cities of Baltimore and Philadelphia to spend their vacations on its long sandy beaches and in its beach communites which lie along the Atlantic coast. However, Delaware has other attractions, including historical sites, wildlife refuges for birdwatchers and those interested in nature, and a large annual NASCAR event which attracts tens of thousands of racing fans.

• Last visit to Delaware: Jan 2013
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2013

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Delaware

Have you been to Delaware?

Latest Activity in Delaware