"Washington, D.C." Washington D.C. by traveldave
Washington D.C. Travel Guide: 5,647 reviews and 15,079 photos
Like Brasilia and Canberra, Washington, D.C. is a planned city whose site was specifically chosen for the new nation's capital. Philadelphia, and even New York City, had served as the capital for short periods, but a site had to be chosen that would satisfy interests in both the North and the South. Neither side wanted the capital to be situated in the other's territory.
Both sides were in agreement to set aside 100 square miles (259 square kilometers) of territory, to be called the District of Columbia, that would be a federal district, independent of state influence.
The location of the new capital was determined at a dinner party. Thomas Jefferson persuaded Alexander Hamilton to deliver enough Northern votes to approve the site, which was recommended by George Washington, in exchange for Jefferson's support of a bill sponsored by Hamilton.
The site chosen for the new capital was surveyed, and one of the assistants was a Frenchman, Pierre L'Enfant. He eventually took over the project and drew up a plan for the city involving diagonal avenues crossing a gridiron of rectangular blocks. Where the diagonal streets intersect the gridiron, circles were created which provide vistas in three directions. The streets of today's Washington, D.C. still follow L'Enfant's original plan.
Nowadays, Washington, D.C. is the center of a metropolitan area that has 4,680,000 inhabitants and spreads out into neighboring Virginia and Maryland. It is also part of the Baltimore-Washington urban conurbation that has a population of about 8,930,000.
Located about three miles (five kilometers) west of central Washington, D.C. in Arlington, Virginia, Ronald Reagan... more travel advice
The Smithsonian Institution is the world's largest museum complex and research organization. It consists of 19 museums... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- "My Hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- updated a Washington D.C. Travelogue "Map of Washington, D.C."
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Problems with a Foreign..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Washington, D.C."
- Commented on one of Paul2001's Washington D.C. travel pages
- Wrote a Review Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington D.C. Transportation
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue