"Alabama" Top 5 Page for this destination Alabama by traveldave

Alabama Travel Guide: 1,722 reviews and 4,355 photos

I traveled to Alabama for the first time in almost 40 years because I needed a short vacation, and because it was the closest place from where I used to live in Indiana where I could find a bird I had never seen before, the brown-headed nuthatch. The trip would also provide a great opportunity to see new places and take some pictures for a new Virtual Tourist page.

Although Alabama offers a lot to the visitor, I only had a limited amount of time, so I decided to visit Birmingham, the state's largest city; and Huntsville, a beautiful town known for the U.S. Space & Rocket Center and its historic districts. I also spent some time at a National Wildlife Refuge near Huntsville.

By the way, I did see the bird.

• Last visit to Alabama: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I'm glad you actually did see the brown-headed nuthatch, as well as numerous other attractions in Alabama. It's good that they saved and restored that old theater.

• Jul 22, 2009 at 4:10 PM

This is actually an A-12. It was the forerunner to the SR-71. The tail number of this plane is 06930/#127.

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 7:53 PM

I'll be driving through Alabama, thanks for tips on what to do there!!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Nice to see the alternative Statue of Liberty & I do like looking at wildlife too especially the feathered variety

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 3:54 PM

I was surprised on how Alabama is so rich in worthy attractions. A very fine page.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 4:14 AM

Wow! Huntsville and Birmingham have a lot to offer. Hans and I usually just drive through Birmingham on the way down to Biloxi. It appeared to me to be mostly industrial area. Also Thanks for visiting my Chicago pages.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 3:03 AM

Thanks Dave for very interesting page about Alabama. Espesially I liked your tips about aviation museum (it's my speciality when I'm free from VT!). Russian MIG-15 impressed most of all! I guess it's a military trophy?

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 6:09 PM

Bama is indeed an interesting city in Alabama - thx to remind me on my latest trip in the US

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 6:35 AM

sounds like a blast! thanks for the tip. had not idea that alabama had this attraction and probably would have scooted right by. thanks

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 5:08 PM

David, these are certainly star-worthy pages. Loved the Historic District, Vulcan Statue (love mythology), antelbellum home & gardens,& the Botonical Gardens. Outstanding job with engaging narrative. Also enjoyed reading about the swamps and the refuge.

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Alabama

Have you been to Alabama?

Latest Activity in Alabama