"Vatican City" Vatican City by traveldave
Vatican City Travel Guide: 1,267 reviews and 3,878 photos
Vatican City is the world's smallest country, and is entirely surrounded by the city of Rome. It is the spiritual home of millions of the world's Roman Catholics. Despite its small size, it has its own post office (which issues Vatican stamps), currency, radio station, train station, and army, consisting of the Swiss Guards. The Lateran Treaty of 1929 gave the Pope full sovereignty over Vatican City, and recognized its independence.
There are only a little more than 800 inhabitants, and they consist of Vatican administrators. Vatican City contains the world's largest cathedral, Saint Peter's Basilica, and an impressive collection of art, which includes the Pietà by Michelangelo, as well as his ceiling in the Sistine Chapel.
There are no customs or immigration formalities, and visitors can just walk in and enjoy the art and architecture. People who visit at the right time may be able attend the weekly blessing given by Pope Benedict XVI.
The day I visited Vatican City just happened to be the day of the Papal Blessing, given by the late Pope John Paul II.... more travel advice
Saint Peter's Basilica dominates Vatican City, as well as the skyline of Rome. It is one of the holiest Roman Catholic... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Vatican City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vatican City - Holy See"
- "The Holy See: A Pilgrim's Report"
- "Destination: Citta Del Vaticano"
- "A country in a City!"
- "VATICAN CITY"
- "Vatican CHRISTMAS 2005"
- "weekend at the Vatican"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vatican City
- Hotels in Vatican City
- Transportation in Vatican City
- Nightlife in Vatican City
- Restaurants in Vatican City
- Shopping in Vatican City
- Warnings and Dangers in Vatican City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vatican City
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Vatican City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vatican City
Photos in Vatican CitySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue