"Belgium" Belgium by traveldave

Belgium Travel Guide: 22,203 reviews and 55,895 photos

My recent visit to Belgium was not an entirely pleasant experience. I only had about two hours to spend in the city center of Brussels, it was very early in the morning, and it was cold and raining. My short time in the city left me feeling rushed as I tried to find some of the attractions of Brussels using a map that was becoming rain-soaked. It was also so early in the morning that it was barely light, and the Grand'Place was eerily empty, save for delivery vans making their morning deliveries. To top it all off, it was cold and raining, and I was huddled in a light jacket under my umbrella. All of these circumstances unfortunately did not allow me to enjoy to the fullest one of the most charming city squares with some of the most distinctive architecture in Europe.

I had flown into Brussels National Airport on my way to London, and then West Africa. My flight schedule gave me only about two hours to spend in the city center before I had to get back to the airport. I had chosen this particular flight because of the layover in Brussels. I had never been there, and thought it would be a fun and interesting experience to run into the city, see some of the sights, and rush back to the airport. Things did not work out as I planned, and I learned that a quick layover is not the way to see a city with as much to offer as Brussels.

I should say that my short time in Belgium was not entirely a bad experience. Despite the early hour and the miserable weather, I really was impressed by the things I saw, and was glad for the opportunity to have at least been able to visit one of the most pleasant cities in Europe.

• Last visit to Belgium: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 22, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Too bad your visit to Belgium was so short (and cold and rainy). I went to Flanders (north half of Belgium) last summer and had some fine times.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 6:15 PM

Your page is remarkably well researched. The Grand Place is the beautiful city square in Europe in my opinion.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM

Ha ha ha. The Manneken Pis - a must-see in Brussels.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2007 at 4:24 AM

Brussels is very beautiful esp. when the sun comes out. I'm sure you will find another chance to visit this wonderful city.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 9:13 AM

I'll returned and am so happy that I did. Really enjoyed the information about Belgium Lace [or lack thereof] The architecture is so ornate. You saw a good deal in a short amount of time. Stellar pages and helpful information.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Your brief early morning visit in the rain did not detract from lovely Brussels

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Very good and interesting tips. Early morning is the best time to avoid crowds. Two hours layover is better than none :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 7:50 AM

Great start, David! I wish your short time and bad weather in Belgium demand next visits and continue this page. I've been to Brussels three times and dream to revisit more and more... My wife conciders Grote Markt the most picturesque square in Europe.

traveldave Visits Here Frequently!

traveldave

“"....For I must be traveling on now, 'cause there's too many places I've got to see...." (Lynyrd Skynyrd).”

Badges & Stats in Belgium

Have you been to Belgium?

Latest Activity in Belgium