"Belgium" Belgium by traveldave
Belgium Travel Guide: 22,203 reviews and 55,895 photos
My recent visit to Belgium was not an entirely pleasant experience. I only had about two hours to spend in the city center of Brussels, it was very early in the morning, and it was cold and raining. My short time in the city left me feeling rushed as I tried to find some of the attractions of Brussels using a map that was becoming rain-soaked. It was also so early in the morning that it was barely light, and the Grand'Place was eerily empty, save for delivery vans making their morning deliveries. To top it all off, it was cold and raining, and I was huddled in a light jacket under my umbrella. All of these circumstances unfortunately did not allow me to enjoy to the fullest one of the most charming city squares with some of the most distinctive architecture in Europe.
I had flown into Brussels National Airport on my way to London, and then West Africa. My flight schedule gave me only about two hours to spend in the city center before I had to get back to the airport. I had chosen this particular flight because of the layover in Brussels. I had never been there, and thought it would be a fun and interesting experience to run into the city, see some of the sights, and rush back to the airport. Things did not work out as I planned, and I learned that a quick layover is not the way to see a city with as much to offer as Brussels.
I should say that my short time in Belgium was not entirely a bad experience. Despite the early hour and the miserable weather, I really was impressed by the things I saw, and was glad for the opportunity to have at least been able to visit one of the most pleasant cities in Europe.
The neo-Gothic King's House, or Maison du Roi in French, was one of the guildhalls built on the Grand'Place during the... more travel advice
The Hôtel de Ville, or Town Hall, is the largest building on the Grand'Place. Its 315-foot (96-meter) tower is the... more travel advice
traveldave's Related Pages
Belgium Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Belgium by cows". Translation: Norali"
- "Belgium is like >. big!"
- "Belgium - So small but so different in landscapes"
- "My Homeland"
- "Paul's Journey Through Belgium"
- "The real cows"
- "Belgium places to visit and beers to drink"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belgium
- Hotels in Belgium
- Transportation in Belgium
- Nightlife in Belgium
- Restaurants in Belgium
- Shopping in Belgium
- Warnings and Dangers in Belgium
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belgium
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Belgium?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belgium
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Illinois Intro, 50 reviews, 51 photos, 1 travelogue
- United States of America Intro, 47 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Peru Intro, 43 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Mexico Intro, 42 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indiana Intro, 40 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Virginia Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Morocco Intro, 35 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue