"M A K A R S K A" Top 5 Page for this destination Makarska by canaglic
Makarska Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 306 photos
The town of Makarska (12000 inhabitants) is one of the most attractive resorts on the Croatian coast, the "nucleus" of tourism in Dalmatia. It is the centre of culture, sports, entertainment an business of the Makarska Riviera.
With an air of the Mediterranean and an inherent Dalmatian architecture. Makarska is a tourist resort of exceptional beauty. It lies on the curve of sweeping horseshoe bay fringed by two peninsulas covered by pine groves, Osejava and St.. Peter and backed by the impressive mountain range of Biokovo (peak St.. George). A wide promenade stretches along the line of the bay and the city beach - here you will find a multitude of shops, restaurants, cafes, ice cream parlors, terraces with live music and souvenir shops.
Biokovo is one of the largest and most impressive mountains in Dalmatia. It rises almost vertically from the very coast. Biokovo is the habitat of many rare endemic plants, but we can also find forests of the Dalmatian black pine. The great wealth of Biokovo's plant life can be seen in the Kotisina botanical garden on the mountain slopes. It is also the habitat of numerous very rare birds of prey, like the golden eagle and other extraordinary animal species.
Biokovo's unique beauty are its geomorphological phenomena such as caves and funnel-shaped holes in the limestone formation.
Makarska is a city in the Split-Dalmatia county of Croatia, population 13,716 (2001). It is located on the Adriatic coastline of Dalmatia, about 60 km southwest of Split and 140 km north of Dubrovnik.
Makarska is a tourist town located on a horseshoe shaped bay between the Biokovo mountain and the Adriatic Sea. The city is noted for its palm-fringed promenade, where fashionable cafés, bars and boutiques overlook the pretty harbour where many pleasure craft are moored.
- Pros:Small Town for a Great Holiday
Strolling along the streets of Makarska, you will come across a number of churches and other architectural and cultural... more travel advice
Two hundred and seventy-five rooms, air conditioning, satellite television, mini bar, direct telephones in rooms,... more travel advice
canaglic's Related Pages
Makarska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M A K A R S K A"
- "Riviera Makarska"
- "One of Dalmatia's Most Popular Mainland Resorts."
- "Luskovite's Makarska Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Makarska
- Hotels in Makarska
- Transportation in Makarska
- Nightlife in Makarska
- Restaurants in Makarska
- Warnings and Dangers in Makarska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Makarska
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Makarska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Makarska
Top 10 Pages
- Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 93 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 36 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Split Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hvar Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bovec Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos
- Pula Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Korcula Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Opatija Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos