"S P L I T" Split by canaglic
Split Travel Guide: 912 reviews and 2,389 photos
SPLIT, a city and port in Central Dalmatia; population 189,388. Situated on a peninsula between the eastern part of the Gulf of Kastela and the Split Channel. A hill, Marjan (178 m), rises in the western part of the peninsula. The ridges Kozjak (780 m) and Mosor (1,330 m) protect the city from the north and northeast, and separate it from the hinterland. Split has the Mediterranean climate: hot dry summers (average air temperature in July reaches 26 °C) and mild, humid winters (average annual rainfall is 900 mm). Vegetation is of the evergreen Mediterranean type, and subtropical flora (palm-trees, agaves, cacti) grows in the city and its surroundings. Marjan is covered with a cultivated forest.
Split is one of the sunniest places in Europe: the average daily insolation during the year is about 7 hours (in July about 12 hours).
The Marjan peninsula in Split is both the city's symbol and an inseparable part of its history. Split citizens are emotionally tied to Marjan, therefore it was and still is an inspiration to many artists from Split. We may well say that it stands as a myth in the city's collective consciousness. The forest park Marjan today covers a greater part of the area with Allepo pines (Pinus halepensis), part of a meadow and arable areas, the sea-shore and Sustjepan park. Marjan is also the best known site for outings and during the summertime its beaches are full of swimmers.
Picigin (pronounced "pizzighin") is a popular game played on beaches. It involves several players passing around a small... more travel advice
canaglic's Related Pages
Split Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "And where's the Palace?"
- "Varoš is the real soul of Split"
- "Diocletian-A Palace that Started a City"
- "Ouch, it's time to Split!"
- "Sunny days in Split"
- "Welcome to Split"
- "I will go back!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Split
- Hotels in Split
- Transportation in Split
- Nightlife in Split
- Restaurants in Split
- Shopping in Split
- Warnings and Dangers in Split
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Split
- 25 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Split?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Split
Top 10 Pages
- Zagreb Intro, 57 reviews, 93 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 37 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 36 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Split Intro, 25 reviews, 43 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hvar Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bovec Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 34 photos
- Pula Intro, 16 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Korcula Intro, 8 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Opatija Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos