"Marken, touristic isle in the Dutch Southern sea" Marken by lvdpiet
Marken Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 135 photos
Marken is a former island in the former Souther Sea of the Netherlands. These days the Sea became a lake in the late twenties of the last century and the island is connected to the land by a dyke.
The island is located before the coast of Volendam, another touristic fishermans harbour in the province of North-Holland. It is all in the tradition of tulips, wooden shoes and windmills that made Holland famous for tourists. We, however, like to think that this image is false. These days we are a country of services, distribution and high tech innovations and industries, where shareholders value rules!
Still, it is charming, this remains of a past culture. A nice little harbour on a scale you won't find in the real sea harbours anymore. Clothing tradition, old craftmanship and wooden houses, built in a way is is not done anymore in Holland for over a hundred years. So whenever you are here, go there and look what Holland once looked like some hundred or more years ago!
- Pros:unique, nicely small scaled
- Cons:exploited, touristic
- In a nutshell:nice for a short visit
lvdpiet's Related Pages
Marken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marken - Island Life"
- "Marken, travel back in time"
- "A Former Island in a Former Part of the Sea"
- "Lovely seaside town"
- "Island of little green houses!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marken
- Hotels in Marken
- Transportation in Marken
- Restaurants in Marken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marken
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Marken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marken
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 9 reviews, 140 photos, 10 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 12 reviews, 76 photos, 6 travelogues
- Nice Intro, 6 reviews, 54 photos, 8 travelogues
- Haarlem Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Indonesia Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos
- Chicago Intro, 11 reviews, 26 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Aswan Intro, 6 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues