"Canals & Flowers" Netherlands by DueSer
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,492 reviews and 86,811 photos
This is a unique place and not just because of the canals.
It really feels like a small town. It's comfortable, walking to just about everywhere is possible, and if there's a really bad part of town, I didn't see it. The city has tree-lined streets and window boxes and churches and little surprises around many corners. It's a fun place to visit and, beause it is so comfortable, it's a good place to stay as a base for exploring the rest of the country.
The train system is excellent and can quickly and easily get you to towns all over the area. The trains are clean and effecient. The airport is on the main train line so getting into Amsterdam is not a big hassle at all.
Leiden is a town that has a lot of significance for Americans and makes a terrific day trip from Amsterdam. It's a beautiful town with a fantastic street market, lots of sights to see, and it's also the place to catch the bus to the famous Keukenhof, which is located in the nearby town of Lisse.
I would suggest making Leiden your first stop on a trip to the Netherlands because it seems to be centre of everything else. While visiting other places in the country, including Amsterdam, mentions of Leiden (like the university or some famous resident) always came up. So if you want to know what they're talking about, see Leiden first. It can be an educational visit.
One thing to note however, I don't think you could reasonably see Leiden AND the Keukenhof in one day. The gardens in Lisse really take one day all by themselves and seeing everything there is to see in Leiden takes a very full day so plan accordingly.
Very simply put, Delft is lovely.
Sure the pottery will draw you to the town (or at least it should, it's really nice!) but don't expect to go, tour the factory, buy a vase or something, and then leave.
Delft is perfect for strolling, quietly enjoying street after street of cute houses, picturesque canals, good restaurants (and bakeries) and impressive public artwork.
Despite being a fairly major tourist attraction, it doesn't feel like one. There are a lot of tourists but, step outside the Grote Markt and there are just regular people doing their thing and the pace is relaxing. I would suggest visiting Delft after you've been in The Netherlands for a while and need a quieter venue.
- Pros:The flowers, the canals, the houses.
- Cons:The weather.
- In a nutshell:A lovely vacation destination
Although this is actually on a fairly busy street, it's a small statue and not, like some people assume, right in front... more travel advice
This is a nice place to shop because of the selection of shops as well as the setting. The building itself was built... more travel advice
DueSer's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 10 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- California Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Hungary Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos
- Austria Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgium Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Missouri Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Ohio Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Australia Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10131 Reviews - 21205 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1266 Reviews - 3255 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1423 Reviews - 3803 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos