"Two Very Different Cities" Austria by DueSer
Austria Travel Guide: 19,522 reviews and 53,467 photos
A lot has been written about Austria so my focus isn't going to be on the cathedrals and the palaces and all the usual things you can find in any tour book. There are little wonderful things about Austria that can make your visit delightful and personal and much more memorable.
So, if you're thinking, why is there no mention of that cathedral or this museum? That's why.
Also, I'm only focusing on Vienna and Salzburg because those are the two places I spent the majority of my time.
Vienna is a big city and, as such, at times can seem a bit mundane. The historical and architectural gems are not as easy to find but they are there.
The restaurants are better in Vienna than Salzburg and so are the art museums. Speaking of art, be sure not to miss the Secession Building - beautiful on the outside and home to Klimt's interpretation of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, it alone is worth a visit to Vienna. If you're a fan of Klimt, Vienna is the city you need to get to quickly. It's a treasure trove of his work.
As for the architectural gems I mentioned, check out Hundertwasserhaus. It is one of those hidden gems. It's a public-housing project like no other. Colorful and crazy in a good way, it is a great example of what buildings could be if they dared to be different.
Salzburg is smaller and more beautiful than Vienna. Of the two, this is the one to visit if you have choose one or the other. Both cities have great shopping and beautiful rivers to walk along but, Salzburg has a view of the Alps.
The history is abundant in both places but it is more overt in Salzburg thanks to two places. One is the looming Hohensalzburg Fortress. The white stronghold is visible from just about every point in the city and dates back about 950 years. The other is Stiftskirche St. Peter, which was founded in 696 and is home to the oldest restaurant in Europe and possibly the world, Stiftskeller St. Peter, founded in 803. Dining here is a real experience and the food, albeit expensive, is terrific.
- Pros:Beautiful country, wonderful food, fabulous sites.
- In a nutshell:I hadn't planned on going but was so glad I went!
This lovely church is located by a few other sites so be sure to stroll over and check it out. The green copper dome is... more travel advice
With over 1400 rooms, and who knows how many acres, this palace is, in my opinion, better than the Hopfburg Complex... more travel advice
DueSer's Related Pages
Austria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- "Classy Austria"
- "Paul2001's Austria Page"
- "4 Visits and 1 conclusion... Stunning!!"
- "VT meeting in Pisa"
- "Country of mountains, country of streams..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austria
- Hotels in Austria
- Transportation in Austria
- Nightlife in Austria
- Restaurants in Austria
- Shopping in Austria
- Warnings and Dangers in Austria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austria
- 18 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Austria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austria
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 29 reviews, 46 photos
- California Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 21 reviews, 36 photos
- Hungary Intro, 19 reviews, 32 photos
- Austria Intro, 18 reviews, 31 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 10 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belgium Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Missouri Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Ohio Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Australia Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos