"The wild west...." Top 5 Page for this destination Castlebar by Enzo

Castlebar Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 37 photos

<center>A famine house....</center>

Note: I do not know the exact history of the ruin in this picture, therefore for me to call it a <em>famine</em> house is a presumption i am making.

An Gorta Mór (the great hunger) occured in Ireland between the years 1845 and 1849. Over 1 million people died of starvation and a further 1 million escaped from Ireland during these years. In fact from 1845 until 1900 the population of Ireland plummeted from approx 8 million people to around 4 million! You can read a brief history of the <em>famine</em> in my travelogue - <a href="/m/.7645/article/1164/13/?s=n">An Gorta Mór</a>.

<center>
<hr width=60%></center>

I have been in Castlebar and Westport (half hour from Cb) many times, from doing a training course with the Army Reserves or just on holidays. This is one of the most beautiful areas of Ireland.

These photos were taken on two different occasions, on an army trg cse we visited a local mountain Croak Patrick and secondly I drove through this region with some Finns stopping in Westport, Newport, Castlebar, Louisbourg (??), Galway etc

<!--
<b>Croak Patrick</b>
-->

<font color=green size=-2>All these photos are taken by myself or my gf unless otherwise stated. If you want to use any of them please ask first. Thanks a million.<font color=red>© Enda McGuinness 2001 (copyright) </font></font>

• Intro Written Sep 5, 2002

Enzo

“Good job, Space Cadet.”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Castlebar

Have you been to Castlebar?

Latest Activity in Castlebar