"Akjoujt, capitale of Inchiri" Akjoujt by Alpha_Ghana
Akjoujt Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 27 photos
Akjoujt is the "capitale" of the province of Inchiri. This is the main town and the only town if the whole region.
There is nothing there!
If you think you saw one day a city with nothing, then you have not seen Akjoujt.
It is almost a ghost town. Army placed there a barrack for infantery trainees and there are three filling stations. Some small mosquees also.
The history of Akjoujt is related to the copper.
The region of Inchiri has been known for the copper since 20000 years. Old civilisations where using copper for craft and arms in the old ages. Then desert came and the region was abandonned by people, only Bedouins went on living there.
In 1940, goelogists found large ore bodies of copper close to Akjoujt. In 1970, Angloamerican tried to run a oxide mine but they failed and they lost the today's equivalent of 300 millions dollars.
Some Mauritanian companies tried to take over during the next 35 years without success.
Akjoujt inhabitants ran away from the city. Today, there are only old timers and lazy tea drinkers. All people who work or are educated left to better places. This is a World Bank assisted city.
Fortunately, in 2005, a Australian/Canadian company bought the concession and started the project again, giving Akjoujt people hope to have some real incomes and benefits for their population.
Located 5 km North of Akjoujt, the Guelb Moghrein mine is living again.
Hundred thousands of tons of old scraps are still on site but a company is now developing the exploitation of copper and gold.
You can rename it "Oxford Street" or "5th Avenue" or "Champs Elysées" if you want.
- Cons:There is nothing there
- In a nutshell:If you are foe of life, go there and suicide.
Just as you enter Akjoujt, after the police control, on the right, you will see this amazing spped limit in the middle... more travel advice
Alpha_Ghana's Related Pages
Akjoujt Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Akjoujt
- Hotels in Akjoujt
- Transportation in Akjoujt
- Restaurants in Akjoujt
- Shopping in Akjoujt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akjoujt
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Akjoujt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akjoujt
Photos in AkjoujtSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Pointe-Noire Intro, 38 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 43 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamako Intro, 32 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 39 reviews, 9 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Mali Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Nouadhibou Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos
- Brussels 11 reviews, 6 photos