"Nouadhibou - Port Etienne" Nouadhibou by Alpha_Ghana
Nouadhibou Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 150 photos
Nouadhibou has been isolated from the rest of Mauritania up to Quarter 1 of 2005. Then a road linking it to Nouakchott has been complete. Also, this was the last portion of the coastal road to be completed between Tangiers and Douala. (I never went further by road).
Nouadhibou was created by the French in the early XXst century as an airport for a?ropostale. It was a transit to Dakar. It was also the departure point for Mermoz to cross the South Atlantic.
Today, Nouadhibou is a main harbour and the city of SNIM (Soci?t? Nationale d'Industrie Mini?re), the main Mauritanian company in Zouerate (one of the first exporting company of iron ore).
There is not a lot to see in Nouahdibou, unless you like cemeteries. There are more than 300 wrecks around the harbour.
The railroad for SNIM is marking the border with Western Sahara. Some years ago, Polisario was shooting the town from the other side of the border
You can see many camels on the beach. (At least, since the beach in Mauritania only ends in Soudan, this is not a... more travel advice
Not too far from the intense activity of the SNIM in the industrial harbour, there is a small harbour for local... more travel advice
Alpha_Ghana's Related Pages
Nouadhibou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nouadhibou - Port Etienne"
- "When I was a child in Mauritania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nouadhibou
- Hotels in Nouadhibou
- Transportation in Nouadhibou
- Nightlife in Nouadhibou
- Restaurants in Nouadhibou
- Shopping in Nouadhibou
- Warnings and Dangers in Nouadhibou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nouadhibou
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Nouadhibou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nouadhibou
Top 10 Pages
- Pointe-Noire Intro, 38 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 43 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamako Intro, 32 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 39 reviews, 9 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Mali Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Nouadhibou Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos
- Brussels 11 reviews, 6 photos