"Nouakchott" Top 5 Page for this destination Nouakchott by Alpha_Ghana
Nouakchott Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 227 photos
Should you be in a modest or a rich house, a tent or a cabin, Mauritanians always arrange their houses with carpets and sofas with deep cushions all around the room.
All rooms are the same, just colours and fabrics might be different.
You have rooms for different occasions, like tea time, lunch, dinner, TV watching, reception.
All activities are always in the same kind of room: you lay down on the ground or on the sofa and you drink tea while discussing with your host, you watch television, you eat a sheep on the ground.
Nouakchott is quite large. With only 2.8 million inhabitants in Mauritania, Nouakchott has almost one million of them. There are no high tower or large building. All houses are one or two story buildings with flat roofs.
Althought Mauritanians only use the roof for antennas, expatriates use them as a terrace, a solarium.
Nouakchott is built on the sand. Some tar roards cross the town, else you drive in the sand.
One of the most interesting places of Nouakchott is the fishing harbour. Everyday in the afternoon you can go and see fishermen coming back from their day at sea, bringing tonnes of fishes.
Special seafood like octopus, schrimps, prwans and lobsters are only sold forzen. The reason is that all the production is directly bought by factory-ships.
You can go directly on the beach, fishes are better quality and cheaper than on the small market at the parking place.
Also, you can see all the small, coloured fishing boats on hundred meters of beach.
When I arrived Nouakchott to settle there, I had to stay 6 weeks in the hotel. Services is OK, rooms are decorated in a... more travel advice
Mauritania became independent in 1960, like all other French colonies. Unlike other countries, Mauritania was not fully... more travel advice
Alpha_Ghana's Related Pages
Nouakchott Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tips from my "end-of-mission" report"
- "THE FRIENDLY CAPITAL"
- "Nouakchott I lived here"
- "Nouakchott 2005"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nouakchott
- Hotels in Nouakchott
- Transportation in Nouakchott
- Restaurants in Nouakchott
- Shopping in Nouakchott
- Warnings and Dangers in Nouakchott
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nouakchott
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Nouakchott?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nouakchott
Top 10 Pages
- Pointe-Noire Intro, 38 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 43 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamako Intro, 32 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 39 reviews, 9 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Mali Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Nouadhibou Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos
- Brussels 11 reviews, 6 photos