"Rosso, capitale of Sahel" Rosso by Alpha_Ghana
Rosso Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 24 photos
When Mauritania became independant, there was a dispute between the people from the River (Blacks) and from the desert (Moors) to know where to settle the capitale of the country.
At this time, Rosso was larger and more important than now. It was also the biggest town of Mauritania.
Blacks did not want a Moor capitale in Atar and Moors did not want a Black capitale in Rosso, That is why they finally agreed on Nouakchott, in the middle.
Rosso has been a nice colonial town until the late fifties when it was totally destroyed by a flaod of Senegal.
It has been rebuild in this ugly modern Mauritanian style and it does not give any reason for the tourist to spend one hour there.
The only reasons people are in Rosso is to cross the river to go to Senegal by the ferry.
Alpha_Ghana's Related Pages
Rosso Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rosso
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Rosso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rosso
Top 10 Pages
- Pointe-Noire Intro, 38 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 43 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamako Intro, 32 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Accra Intro, 39 reviews, 9 photos
- New York City Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Mali Intro, 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Nouadhibou Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reunion Intro, 13 reviews, 5 photos
- Brussels 11 reviews, 6 photos