"Slowly losing it's character" Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley by Piggy73
Beverley Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 172 photos
Despite the influx of chain stores - the town holds several hidden gems.
Just in case you are reading an out of date guide there have been a few changes. Although the shell of the Victorian Picture Playhouse remains it has now houses "Browns" an upmarket department store. The army museum has gone & that area will be redeveloped. Prospective plans were released Feb 2007 and include a shopping area, a new college and housing. Building commenced early in 2012.
The most prominent building in Beverley has to be the Beverley Minster which was completed in 1425. Even if you have no religious convictions the architecture and ornate carvings are worth a look and there is no obligatory entry fee. There are several other religious organisations in the town and details are provided in my religion travelogue.
A regular event held in June each year . See the website for bands & ticket prices. There is the option of camping at the event which is good value for money considering it's central location. The campsite is usually at the Leisure Centre where there stalls and cafes are set up. It's worth a wander around this area as musicans can be found "jamming" - so have a drink, something to eat and enjoy the ambience - it's free.
Beverley Folk Festival
This years line up includes Joe Brown, Steeley Span, Peatbog Faeries, Chumbawamba and many more. See website for full listings.
Held in December.
Traditional market stalls, steam organ, classic cars,all shops opens, carollers, Father Christmas and his reindeer, brass bands & street entertainment, vintage fair.
A free park & ride is usually available from the Racecourse.
- Pros:Many interesting places within a short walking distance.
- Cons:Find a parking space ...... blame the local council !
- In a nutshell:A market town which has retained much of it's character.
This official YHA hostel is within a 10 minute walk of the railway station & town centre. The hostel was originally a... more travel advice
This pub has seen many changes in the 14 years that I have lived in Beverley but the current landlords (2006) have... more travel advice
- See All Peking & Cantonese Cuisine
- See All Tourist Information Office
- See All Interested in Local History
Piggy73's Related Pages
Beverley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beverley - county town of East Yorkshire"
- "Slowly losing it's character"
- "Yorkshire's best kept secret?"
- "A Real Hidden Gem"
- "One of Britain's best kept jewels"
- "Beverley - Good For A One-Night Fling"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beverley
- Hotels in Beverley
- Transportation in Beverley
- Nightlife in Beverley
- Restaurants in Beverley
- Shopping in Beverley
- Warnings and Dangers in Beverley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beverley
- 39 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Beverley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beverley
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beverley Intro, 39 reviews, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ubud Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Best Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Kingston upon Hull Intro, 12 reviews
- Eindhoven Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wakefield Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rotterdam Intro, 7 photos, 2 travelogues
- Leeds Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Hornsea Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue