"PartyRambo's new Nara Page" Nara by PartyRambo
Nara Travel Guide: 273 reviews and 1,056 photos
In the 5th and 6th centuries AD, the Japanese culture blossomed in the Yamato area east of Osaka. Contact with China and Korea laid the foundation for a powerful nation, and the regent Prince Shotoku (574-622) established a strict hierarchy of government. In 710, the city of Heijo (meaning Citadel of Peace, and now named Nara) was declared the capital of Japan, modelled after China's Imperial city of Chang'an (now Xi'an).
Although the Imperial court moved to Edo (now Tokyo) less than 70 years later, the modern nation was begun here.
Its modern seat of power is the City Hall (pictured).
One of the landmarks in the old Nara is the five-storey pagoda, part of the Kofuku-Ji temple complex. Kofuku-Ji was... more travel advice
In TodaiJi, the golden buddha (50 feet tall) is Japan's largest bronze statue. Having suffered numerous mishaps since... more travel advice
PartyRambo's Related Pages
Nara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of Japan's ancient capitals"
- "Rich Culture in the Countryside"
- "Nara - A historical City."
- "Deer Nara"
- "Nara - Ancient Japanese City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nara
- Hotels in Nara
- Transportation in Nara
- Restaurants in Nara
- Shopping in Nara
- Warnings and Dangers in Nara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nara
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Nara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nara
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Osaka Intro, 27 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nagoya Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zürich Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 2 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calico Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos