"Calico Ghost Town - Historical Landmark #782" Top 5 Page for this destination Calico by PartyRambo
Calico Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 137 photos
April 6, 1881, several claims were located in this mining district. All bunched together, they formed one of the richest deposits of borate minerals around.
Gold? No, but borate? Borate mineral structures incorporate either the BO3 triangle or BO4 tetrahedron in which oxygen or hydroxyl groups are located at the vertices of a triangle or at the corners of a tetrahedron with a central boron atom, respectively... OK, OK, I stole that text from http://www.death-valley.us/contentid-8.html - so sue me! ><
What are they good for? The most common commercial name would be Borax... sound familiar? It's soap... detergent soap.
No wonder they thought it was valuable as gold - you ever been in a saloon with a miner? Boy, they need a wash!!!
The town's history:
1881 - Born
1907 - 'died' when the mines dried up
1951 - Restored
1966 - Donated to San Bernardino County
-Produced $86,000,000 in silver
-Produced $45,000,000 in borax
Famous Mines of the more than 500 that eventually worked here - the Silver King, Odessa, Waterloo, Garfield, Oriental, Bismarck & Maggie.
"In 1881, silver was king here," notes the pamphlet, "with 22 saloons, mercantile stores and sterling mines."
You can walk the tunnels of Maggie Mine, ride a narrow guage train, or watch water roll uphill in the Mystery Shack.
There's a bunkhouse for those wanting to stay overnight, trails to explore, horses to ride.
Take I-15 to Ghost Town Road exit, just 10 minutes north of Barstowe, CA.
Open all year except Dec. 25
8:00 AM - dusk
Shops/attractions open 9:00-5:00
Population: 10 today from a peak of 1,200 in 1887.
- Pros:Never seen a ghost town before...
- Cons:Typical tourist trap - bring your OWN water...
- In a nutshell:Interesting stop, and just a few minutes off the freeway!
Yep, can't say I was strong enough to pass it up - had to sneak in a picture of me & the town. more travel advice
Born in March 1881, Calico was a boomtown in just a few years, boasting its own Chinatown and red light district. When,... more travel advice
- See All The Fire Hall's one-horsepower engine
- "Look both ways before crossing the...
- Pan for gold - you may be rich when you...
PartyRambo's Related Pages
Calico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calico Ghost Town"
- "Calico Ghost Town - Historical Landmark #782"
- "Calico ghost town"
- "Sand, snakes & old mines"
- "Calico near Hollis"
- "Calico Ghost Town, California"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calico
- Hotels in Calico
- Transportation in Calico
- Restaurants in Calico
- Shopping in Calico
- Warnings and Dangers in Calico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calico
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Calico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calico
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 29 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Osaka Intro, 27 reviews, 58 photos, 4 travelogues
- Nagoya Intro, 19 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zürich Intro, 2 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 2 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calico Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos