"An old trade city on Kliazma" Gorokhovets by Irinna
Gorokhovets Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 28 photos
This small town on Kliazma river banks is all “off the beaten path”. Located quite far from main tourist routes (about 160 km from Vladimir and 90 km from Nizhnyi Novgorod) it's usually passed (a group of teens from Nizhnyi Novgorod who came there for a day excursion were the only tourists we have met).
The history of Gorokhovets is typical for Northern Russia towns. It
was first mentioned in a chronicle for 1239 as a fortress on east frontiers of Suzdal Russia. In XVI-XVII cent. it became important - as a point on river trade routes from Vladimir and Suzdal regions to areas on Volga. At this time and later it was developed by local merchants.
Now Gorokhovets is very small (you can go around all of it in 2-3 hours) provincial town - with the finest landscapes and the most interesting architecture.
- Pros:Really lovely town with the most beautiful views
- Cons:Lack of infrastructure for tourists - toilets, restaurants etc.
- In a nutshell:A real miracle!
In town we usually went on foot. But there are local bus lines (which we haven't used) and lots of taxi. more travel advice
The cafe isn't 'fast food' at all (at least in summer). It's a normal restaurant with nice meals, not very fast service... more travel advice
Irinna's Related Pages
Gorokhovets Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Gorokhovets
- Hotels in Gorokhovets
- Transportation in Gorokhovets
- Restaurants in Gorokhovets
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gorokhovets
- 10 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Gorokhovets?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gorokhovets
Top 5 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pereslavl'-Zalesskiy Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos
- Gorokhovets Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos
- Bakhchysaray Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos
- Rostov Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos