"Harpers Ferry, West Virginia" Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry by Geoff_Wright

Harpers Ferry Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 237 photos

Harpers Ferry lies at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers, and was incorporated in 1763. the town is now a tourist attraction, known for its history and its scenic beauty. John Brown seized the US arsenal here on October 16th, 1859. Later, in the Civil War, it was held mostly by Union soldiers, but changed hands a number of times. Harpers Ferry never recovered economically after the War, Of particular importance are the fire engine house, in which John Brown was captured and the John Brown Museum. The Harpers Ferry National Historical Park of 1,530 acres was established in 1963, and received many visitors annually.

Perhaps like many other visitors, I had only heard of Harpers Ferry from watching such films as 'Gettysburg'. Somehow I knew I just had to go there, although it was rather out on a limb. (We were in Northeast Virginia, and actually wanting to head East, not West!). A very good VT friend of mine had thought that we perhaps would not find the place too interesting, but we were determined to visit, having travelled thousands of miles anyway. We thought we could head off to this remote corner of West Virginia, and then head back, via Front Royal, to drive along the scenic Skyline Drive, of the Shenandoah National Park, before returning to our host's home. Once we arrived at Harpers Ferry, we soon realised that it would be better to stay there, and get a real 'feel' for the place, so that's what we did. We spent the whole afternoon there!

Welcome to Harpers Ferry Visitor Center. Go inside, and get briefed on your self-guided tour. You'll need a full day or more to see most of what there is to see, believe me!

• Last visit to Harpers Ferry: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2003

• mlt_t's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Great page you have here, Sir Geoff :)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 4:30 AM

did you know our PM is also a Harper ;-))) i should have spent two nights there i a hotel, but managed to find a bed in Washington on a previous DC trip

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM

What a nice read Geoff! :o) Love the pix of the cute buildings and the train pic is nice too!! Well we are off in 3 days time to the big downunder meet...woohoo!!!... Thanks for dropping by with a bd wish for me :o) Hugs, Ann xx

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Well it takes for a person from far away to bring history to me since I have not visited this area. Maybe someday. Great pictures and comments.

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Great page and tips! It seems like a place we would enjoy visiting.

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 1:01 PM

Glad to see some one had a good time in Harpers Ferry. I'll have to give it another go some time.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 8:41 AM

interesting look at the old armory town on the potomac. look forward to seeing some of the same sites.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2006 at 8:35 AM

Nice views and interesting historical information. Seems to me I went through here on the train (B&O) many years ago, but didn't get more than a glimpse out of the window.

• Mar 8, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Food was bad and the logo of the business does not match with the Great Seal of the US that was in use at the time that the Armory was in operation.

• RIPKEN_HOF's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 3:19 PM

Great H.Ferry pages, we were in Front Royal the same time, still need any Quarters...Frank

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Harpers Ferry

Have you been to Harpers Ferry?

Latest Activity in Harpers Ferry