"Picturesque Grafton in Vermont" Grafton by Geoff_Wright

Grafton Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 15 photos

A living Historic Town

We had not intended to visit Grafton, nor had we even found it on our travel map. It was actually located some way inside of our marked route, from Windsor, then west of the Green Mountains, on Route 100, and back into New hampshire at Bellows Falls.

At some point during our journey back towards New Hampshire, we were not sure if we had followed the correct road, so we stopped to enquire of someone who just happened to be a Highways surveyor. Finding that we were still on our intended course, the Surveyor told us about the historic town of Grafton, and that, being only a few miles off our course, we ought to go and take a look at it. He said it was one of those old towns where people still rode horses down the street!

According to 'USA Today' (which, by the way, recently did a feature about Virtual Tourist), their May 18th, 2003 edition selected Grafton as the sixth most beautiful place in America.

In my own opinion,Grafton certainly is one of the prettiest villages in Vermont. Many of its beautiful old buildings have been lovingly restored by its residents and the Windham Foundation (See next Chapter)

Sitting here, back in England, and reading something of the history of Grafton, I'm just sorry we never had time to look further at this picturesque town. It's obviously so full of history, and has been used in films and even in a Budweiser advert.

Talking about that budweiser advert, I've discovered another site that has a great deal of information on Grafton. Kerri S. McIntire wrote in 'The Almanack' - The inheritage, Journal of History, Travel and Lore, 'A Brief History of Grafton, Vermont'. (http://www.inheritage.org/almanack/c_grafton.html).

Kerri has very kindly give me permission to use some of her historical text in support of my photos. Due to our very short visit, I need to do justice to Grafton, not that anyone has to do that as it's such a great place to be. So if you are anywhere nearby, don't miss it!

The Windam Foundation

Searching the various pages about Grafton on the internet, I came across reference to the 'Windham Foundation', an organisation that, along with the residents of the town, has brought the town back to life in such a way that it is not a living museum piece, but a living, thriving town. Having written to the Windam Foundation, I have been given permission by Mr.Arthur Schubert Vice President of The Windham Foundation, Inc., to include some of their text or descriptions in support of this page. I am most grateful to Mr Schubert for his support here.
The Windham Foundation

• Pros:A beautiful town, the sixth most beautiful in America
  • Cons:None, but leave yourself plenty of time to see it all.
  • In a nutshell:Go inside the buildings, not just on the outside
  • Last visit to Grafton: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2004

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 6:30 AM

Hi Geoff...those buildings in Grafton were just lovely. My favourite was the general store. I had planned on going to the USA this year and it was the eastern states that I really wanted to see. Never got there but this little trip was lovely...thanks!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 6:36 AM

Glad you enjoyed the small towns. Those are truely what makes us unique, same with my hometown. Thanks for the visits! Next adventure is to explore some of the small Spanish towns

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 2:22 PM

It looks absolutely beautiful Geoff, I would love to visit small places like this. So one church is open for the summer the other for the winter :-)

• sbrookes's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2004 at 7:03 PM

We stayed at the Grafton in for one night. The Inn is owned by a foundation that owns most of the town. Our room is in a nearby house. The shower did not work and the general setting seemed to be more pretention then truth.

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2004 at 7:18 AM

What a lucky discovery! This little town is lovely and so are the autumn colours...

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2004 at 11:58 AM

Graft...on Geoff, finish your tips and I may just rate you hahaha :0))

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 6:05 AM

I used to live in Vermont, in a small town similar to Grafton. Unfortunately, I never managed to go to Grafton. Looks like I missed a neat little town.

• doolemma's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2004 at 12:48 PM

Hope you stopped at the Grafton Inn and had a drink at the Old town Tavern, or tried the cheese from the cheese factory.

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Grafton

Have you been to Grafton?