"Gettysburg National Military Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park by Geoff_Wright
Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 494 photos
Gettysburg was settled in about 1780 and is named for General James Gettys, to whom its site was granted (17th Century) by William Penn. The Gettysburg campaign of 1863 was a turning point in the Civil War, and President Abraham Lincoln made this famous Gettysburg Address here.
Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg National Cemetery, and the farm of President Dwight D. Eisenhower are national historic shrines.
Under construction 19 Nov. Be patient, please. Don't all rush at once!
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased evotion to that cause for which they ave the last full measure of devotion-that we here highly resolve that hese dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."
Union Army Cannon on the Little Round Top
Our visit to Gettysburg would not have been so complete, nor as interesting without the assistance of our 'Guide', VT member Kent Bein, who drove up from Fairfax, VA, just to meet us. We had driven down to Gettysburg from Central Pennsylvania, having spent a great three days with another VT member, Judy (JudyinPA). Thank you to both of them, for making our tour possible.
There are several ways of exploring Gettysburg National Military Park. You can drive yourself, take a tour bus, or even... more travel advice
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Gettysburg National Military Park~"
- "GETTYSBURG - LEE IS REPULSED"
- "The Fate of the Nation"
- "Gettysburg National Military Park"
- "Three Days in July (1863)"
- "America's Battlefield"
- "GETTYSBURG BATTLEFIELD, Touring with Mary & Geoff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Transportation in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Restaurants in Gettysburg National Military Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg National Military Park
- 24 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Gettysburg National Military Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg National Military Park
- Posted in Travel Baska Forum "Re: firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Commented on one of cet128's Gettysburg National Military Park travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to Get Around the Battlefield"
- Wrote a Review How to Get Around the Battlefield in Gettysburg National Military Park Transportation
- updated a Gettysburg National Military Park Travel Page "Gettysburg National Military Park"
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 23 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues