"Gettysburg National Military Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park by Geoff_Wright

Somewhere I Always Wanted To Visit

Gettysburg was settled in about 1780 and is named for General James Gettys, to whom its site was granted (17th Century) by William Penn. The Gettysburg campaign of 1863 was a turning point in the Civil War, and President Abraham Lincoln made this famous Gettysburg Address here.

Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg National Cemetery, and the farm of President Dwight D. Eisenhower are national historic shrines.

Under construction 19 Nov. Be patient, please. Don't all rush at once!

The Gettysburg Address

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased evotion to that cause for which they ave the last full measure of devotion-that we here highly resolve that hese dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

Union Army Cannon on the Little Round Top

Our visit to Gettysburg would not have been so complete, nor as interesting without the assistance of our 'Guide', VT member Kent Bein, who drove up from Fairfax, VA, just to meet us. We had driven down to Gettysburg from Central Pennsylvania, having spent a great three days with another VT member, Judy (JudyinPA). Thank you to both of them, for making our tour possible.

• Last visit to Gettysburg National Military Park: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2003

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM

I absolutely love visiting Civil War sites. Hope to see more anout your findings here. For an often overlooked piece of Civil War history, just off the New Jersey coast, try visiting Fort Delaware State Park...

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Nice intro. page and pictures. Hope you will get to finish this page sometime soon! It is one of our most historical places!

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 10:40 AM

you can also bike around the battlefields and thats cool. I agree with bct about "Killer Angels" I used to gettysburg often as a kid, only after I moved to MT did I find out how many ghosts there were there. Just hadnt thought about it before I guess.

• bct341's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2004 at 6:39 AM

Have you read the "Killer Angels".. it is a must read before visiting Gettysburg :) It is amazing to tour the battlefield and to stand in those same fields.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2004 at 8:51 AM

Gettysburg is a haunting place for people from the South. The cause was not just but was believed and cherished and our ancestors died willingly to protect their rights.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2003 at 12:01 PM

Great page! It seems to be the ideal place for an easy hike in a pretty lanscape pretending to learn about history!;)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2003 at 8:16 AM

Very special to me to read the Gettysburg address again. My history teacher asked us to learn it by heart (in Dutch) and I did. I've now saved your text and will learn it again :-)

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2003 at 2:11 AM

I shall return to this interesting page.. want to know so much more about this historic place.. Thanks for the tour Geoff.. ;-)

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2003 at 1:21 PM

Surely you have the Pennsylvania Monument in your quiver? This place gets so little attention from VTers, but it's a hallowed, haunting place.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2003 at 12:24 PM

Please email me when you "finish" your Gettysburg and Civil-War related pages. I know they'll be great.

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Gettysburg National Military Park

Have you been to Gettysburg National Military Park?

Photos in Gettysburg National Military Park