"The Delaware Water Gap" Delaware Water Gap by Geoff_Wright
Delaware Water Gap Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 52 photos
Having spent the previous night in Southeastern Pennsylvania we were now on our final leg of our journey to Rhode Island. Not wanting to get too close to New York (City of) we decided to travel a little farther north, and follow Highway 209 through the Delaware Water Gap. The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Centre stretches for 40 miles, from Stroudsburg to the South, to Milford, in the north.
Having studied our road map it looked as if our trip along the highway would afford us some spectacular views of the Delaware River, but this was not the case. True, the scenery was spectacular, but we couldn't see much of the river for the trees!
The Visitor Centre, located at Kittatinny Point, should be your first port of call. Unfortunately it is located at the Southern end of the Gap, so if you intend visiting from the Milford end you may not have the benefit of the Park's free guides. Actually, we missed out the Kittatinny Centre, and headed to the Center at Bushkill, which is shown in this photo. The staff were very helpful, and the Centre has a vast array of books and other items of interest to the visitor. You can buy your VT Post Cards here too, LOL!
Having secured our free brochures, we were now able to follow the route plan and find the various off-main highway routes to see the River. We were also told about the work of the Pocono Environmental Education Centrre, which sadly we didn't have time to visit, and of Pennsylvania's highest waterfall at Raymondskills Falls, towards the northern end of the Park.
The photo is of Mary and our Rental Car, down by the Delaware. The dirt road leading from the highway was a little rough in places! The first picture is of the Delaware at this location, so well worth a detour.
A final reminder. Just take a look at the path here, where Mary is standing. It's not suited to elderly or infirm... more travel advice
The group of teenagers we found canoeing here came from a High School in Philadelphia. They seemed to have had a great... more travel advice
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Delaware Water Gap Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area"
- "The Delaware Water Gap"
- "Delaware Water Gap, the Gateway to the Poconos"
- "remosito's new Delaware Water Gap Page"
- "A Sleepy Town with a Bustling Resort History"
- "Delaware Water Gap"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delaware Water Gap
- Transportation in Delaware Water Gap
- Warnings and Dangers in Delaware Water Gap
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delaware Water Gap
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Delaware Water Gap?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delaware Water Gap
Photos in Delaware Water GapSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues