"The Original Virginia City" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia City by Geoff_Wright

Virginia City Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 94 photos

Sitting in my motel room in Nevada I was surprised to find 'Virginia City' shown on my map, and as it wasn't that far away, I set off next morning to see a town that almost everyone who has ever watched TV must have heard about. No? So you've not heard of the TV series 'Bonanza'? Well, it was apparently filmed near here.

Virginia City is really no larger than a small town these days. situated in western Nevada, Southeast of Reno at an altitude of 6,500 feet. It was founded in 1859, when rich deposits of gold and silver, notably the famous Comstock Lode, were discovered nearby. During the 1870's Virginia City was the mining metropolis of the West, with a population of some 35,000. It had fine residences, clubs, restaurants, an opera house, several churches, and 110 saloons. The first newspaper printed in the state, the Territorial Enterprise*, was published here after 1861.

Fancy me meeting Mary here, in Virginia City? Hahaha. Sweetwater John told me that he had only caught 'Mary' in February, and she was already 'user friendly'. For a Dollar (more or less) you can have a conversation with John, and his donkey if you wish, and have a photo taken too.

• Pros:If you are near lake Tahoe, just get youursel here!
  • Cons:Touristic, but great all the same
  • In a nutshell:Don't miss seeing a real wild west town!
  • Last visit to Virginia City: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2004

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Geoff very nice page about a quaint little place that I love. Am actually going to go visit @ the end of June. Funny I have never built a page for it. :) Joyce

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 6:43 AM

Nice little page geoff. I like towns from the old west. Will be visiting Tombstone while in Tucson this May.

• J.I.M's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2005 at 11:09 PM

Great page Geoff, I've never seen 'Bonanza' but Virginia looks like a very nice place :)

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2004 at 5:50 AM

"Very nice page, I like it". A specially i like the Church of Saint Mary's in the Mountains. Thank you Geoff!

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2004 at 4:57 PM

I've been to Reno/Tahoe several times, but I have yet to see the Ponderosa. Maybe this year. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2003 at 11:43 PM

GReat comments, Hope the earings lol where not for the wild mary of John hehehehe

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Virginia City

Have you been to Virginia City?