"Carson City" Top 5 Page for this destination Carson City by Geoff_Wright

Carson City Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 149 photos

Nevada's State Capital

Carson City is the state capital, and is situated in Western Nevada, in the Carson valley. The population is about 54,000. It is a trade centre for a mining and agricultural area. The state government is a major employer, and tourism is important. The city was laid out in 1958 on the site of Eagle Station, a trading post established (in 1851) on the immigrant trail from Salt Lake City to California. It became important after the discovery (in 1859) of the Comstock Lode. In 1861, when the Territory of Nevada was created, the city was made the capital, and in 1864 it became the state capital.

Having gone into Nevada just so I could say: "I went there", I found Carson City on my map, and decided it sounded like an interesting place to visit, before going to lake Tahoe, which was my main reason for being in this area. I spent some while looking around, and actually went back for a second look! Read my story in the tips, LOL!

• Pros:Go there - it's a great little city!
  • Cons:None, really
  • In a nutshell:Ensure you give yourself enough time to see!!
  • Last visit to Carson City: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2003

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 12:32 AM

I imagine the atmosphere of the old west and also the new stories about flying alien spaceships in nevada

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2004 at 5:02 PM

Now this is a place with which I am familiar. But Geoff, never in a casino--really? What a sheltered life. Come on drop a quarter in the slots.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2003 at 8:24 PM

I love stumbling on these great places and don't you love an organised town with maps:-) I love the historic areas. Glad you went back and looked... Great little town. Thanks.

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Carson City

Have you been to Carson City?

Latest Activity in Carson City