Glen House Things to Do Tips by Geoff_Wright
Glen House Things to Do: 3 reviews and 3 photos
The Great Glen Trails Outdoor Centre is a parent company of the Auto Road, and is to be found in the new Lodge, on the opposite side of the road (Route 16). The Center organises mountain biking at the base of Mt Washington on the beautiful rolling carriage roads and trails. You can either rent a bike, or bring your own. They also organise canoeing or kayaking on the lakes and rivers of northern New Hampshire, and provide an experienced guide. In the winter months you can partake in Snow Coach tours, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and snow tubing.
Auto Road Entrance
Travellers began finding their way up to the summit of Mount Washington in 1861, and nowadays most people will drive all the way up in their cars. There are various restrictions, and before you start your ascent, you have to read the safety instructions provided, and selecting first gear, you may proceed up the mountain.
The average grade of 12% slopes ever upward on the mostly paved road, reaching up more than a mile in the sky. If you suffer from vertigo, or have any similar fears of heights, you should reconsider your decision to drive here. There are few, if any, barriers, except for the naturally-growing pine trees!
The Auto Road Sign
Driving down from Gorham, you will find the Mount Washington Auto Road signposted on the right side of the road. There is a large car parking area , to the left, before you actually join the Auro Road proper. It's an idea to pull in here, and get your bearings first.
Address: Route 16, Pinkham Notch, Gorham NH.
Directions: On Route 16, at Glen House.
More Reviews (9)
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Glen House Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Glen House
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Glen House?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen House
Photos in Glen HouseSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 23 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues