"Spruce Head, Maine" Spruce Head by Geoff_Wright

Spruce Head Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 13 photos

Clark Island

Spruce Head is located on a peninsula (one of many), on the Maine Coast, a few miles from the town of Thomaston, which is on Highway 1.

I have searched the internet for information on both Spruce Head and Clark Islands, but I guess they are just too small to have much written about them. so, I'll try to improve on that.

when I began to plan for our trip to New England, I wanted to surprise Mary, by taking her to a really nice location, and spend the night in a good quality hotel. I had intended to visit the town of Friendship, Maine, as it was a place that I already knew from the internet. (Following 9/11, there was a period when many VT members found Friendship towns, and created personal pages referring, in particular, to that tragic date. I had known Friendship, ME, from well before that date!). Anyway, the intention was to eventually visit Bar Harbor. Friendship was en route, but we would need to stay overnight somewhere nearby, as we would be driving up from Providence, Rhode Island. A search of the internet found only a couple of decent hotels, one at Spruce Head. There is also another Inn, actually in Friendship itself. (See my Friendship page).

It's hard to imagine, now, just how industrious this area must have been in the early 1900's. There were several granite quarries in the area, and, of course, a vast fishing industry, which still remains, although obviously at a reduced level.

The photo was taken through our hotel room window, through the mosquito mesh, hence the strange square-shaped pattern!!

• Pros:A very pretty and quiet area
  • Cons:A little bit out on a limb
  • In a nutshell:I'd love to return!
  • Last visit to Spruce Head: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2003

• mcharlton's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 11:29 AM

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE PLANNING A TRIP TO MAINE IN SEPTEMBER AND APPRECIATE YOUR SITE. I'VE NEVER BEEN TO MAINE.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2004 at 8:33 AM

Wonderful....you splashed out a bit on Mary there didnt you Geoff? couldnt you find a chippy??? :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2003 at 4:08 PM

Geoff, a great account of your visit at Spruce Head! There is definitely something very relaxing in spending a quiet evening on a sea shore like this!

• Daja123's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2003 at 10:07 AM

Great page. Well written, and excellent presentation ! ... Thank you Geoff.

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2003 at 1:49 AM

It looks a little like home from home for you Geoff. Some of the pics look sooo Cornwall. I hope the FBI dont hear you stole a piece of America to take back to Cornwall :0)

• truus_s's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2003 at 10:00 AM

Looks nice!!Great nature and bleu water!!Lovely hotels..

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Spruce Head

Have you been to Spruce Head?

Latest Activity in Spruce Head