"Rising Sun, Maryland" Rising Sun by Geoff_Wright

Rising Sun Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 19 photos

When you read the following text you will perhaps understand why on Earth we visited the little known town of Rising Sun. It was out of interest really, having read a little about the town on the internet, and we wanted to see if we could relate the present town to the descriptions we had read about the old town. Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy. The railway station, lkong since closed, was not really accessible, and we were rather short on time for exploration, our requirement being to be in Pennsylvania for the night.

Town History

The town of Rising Sun is located in the north central part of Cecil County about one mile below the Mason Dixon Line, on Rt. 273, bypassed by Rt. 1.and six miles east of the Conowingo Hydroelectric Dam and the Susquehanna River. Records show that around 1720, Henry Reynolds established a tavern for a stage stop at "Nottingham Lots". Over the front entrance was a swinging sign depicting the rays of the sun at dawn, with lettering " The Rising Sun". The popularity of the tavern as a metting place for business deals, political activities,elections, etc. prompted the often repeated phrase "We will meet you at the Rising Sun". This expression eventually took over and when the first post office was established, where, most likely the first location of the tavern was, the name Sumer Hill had faded and yielded to Rising Sun.

Statistics and Facts

The population of Rising Sun is approximately 1263.
The approximate number of families is 528.

The amount of land area in Rising Sun is 2.33 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0.004 sq kilometers.
The distance from Rising Sun to Washington DC is 76 miles. The distance to the Maryland state capital is 56 miles. (as the crow flies)

Rising Sun is positioned 39.69 degrees north of the equator and 76.06 degrees west of the prime meridian.

Why on Earth visit rising Sun"? you may ask. Well it was a long time ago, before the last major changes within Virtual Tourist, when there were very few towns and cities in the database, outside of the US
Someone, an American I believe, asked me if I could do a page on English Public Houses. So, thanks to the great place names in the United States, I was able to find the Rising Sun in Maryland.

The Rising Sun is my local pub, only half a mile from my home.

I will now make some Travelogues of my local pubs, starting with the Rising Sun

• Pros:Neat little town, with little action
  • Cons:A bit off the beaten track.
  • Last visit to Rising Sun: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2005

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Rising Sun

Have you been to Rising Sun?

Latest Activity in Rising Sun