"South Lake Tahoe" Top 5 Page for this destination South Lake Tahoe by Geoff_Wright

South Lake Tahoe Travel Guide: 360 reviews and 782 photos

I had not even heard of Lake Tahoe before my visit to California and Oregon. I had planned to leave Portland by train, which I did, and stop off somewhere and do some exploring. It had been my intention to visit Crater Lake in Oregon, but to do so would mean staying somewhere overnight, and hiring a car next morning, and driving all the way back to the lake. That was just too time consuming, unfortunately. Thanks to Phil and Deni, my VT hosts, who suggested I would love Lake Tahoe, I took the train to Sacramento, hired a car, and headed out to the Lake, and Nevada. What a great decision!

Lake Tahoe occupies a basin in the Sierra Nevada and is drained by the Truckee River. It has a total area of 193 square miles, and lies on the borders of California and Nevada. It is 6,228 feet above sea level, and is 1,645 feet deep.

• Last visit to South Lake Tahoe: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 17, 2004

• angelalu's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 6:24 AM

Very nice page..and that's true..just by chance one can visit beautiful unforgettable places..looking forward to get there too...( :) a stop during my planned trip..) Best wishes from Italy, Angela

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 2:06 PM

You seemed to have good luck with motels in the area, compared to us. Great page and photos on Lake Tahoe!

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 9:29 AM

I didn't know that Lake Tahoe was 6,245 deep. I had heard that all the water there would cover California.

• ocean_fire's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2005 at 7:33 AM

hey,lake Tahoe was surprising for Julian and I too. we arrived at night and we were terrified that the prices at the motels are gonna rip us off,but we were wrong,$35 kingsize bed downtown.It was October though,maybe that's why :O) hugs to ya Geoff

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2004 at 1:12 AM

Grief Geoff I thought you were going to say you brought the Pine Tree home with you!!! - lol Sounds a great place to see, thanks

• damaris05's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2004 at 5:27 PM

Lake Tahoe looks great!

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2004 at 6:31 AM

Great Tahoe pages. Definitely a very nice place for an unplanned trip.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2004 at 2:21 AM

You sure covered a lot of ground on your US trip Geoff.. This place sounds wonderful.. So how is the little pine doing? ;-)

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2004 at 4:08 AM

It is on the list in our itinerary lol The lake looks incredible

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2004 at 10:14 PM

It's a good thing your friends talked you into visiting Lake Tahoe! This is definitely a favorite in our neck of the woods. But, no one ever has made McDonalds look as inviting as you did!

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in South Lake Tahoe

Have you been to South Lake Tahoe?

Latest Activity in South Lake Tahoe