"Six Hours in Sacramento" Top 5 Page for this destination Sacramento by Geoff_Wright
Sacramento Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 1,005 photos
My main reason for going to Sacramento was because that was where the Amtrak train would take me, for my onward journey to lake Tahoe! As it was, I arrived in the city at just after 6 am, and knew I would have to wait a few hours before I could do anything more positive about finding a car rental company, and for booking my flight from Sacramento to Burbank, LA.
I actually spent about six hours wandering around the city, and, whilst writing up these tips, am rather surprised at what I managed to see in that time. But, as I said, the main reason for the visit was to actually 'move on'!
Sacramento is the State Capital and seat of Sacramento county, central California. It is located on the Sacramento River at its confluence with the American River, and was first settled in 1839. A deepwater port via a channel to Suisun Bay, it is the shipping, rail, processing and mrkenting centre for the truck and fruit farms of the Sacramento valley. Food processing is the city's major industry. The discovery of gold in 1848 at nearby Sutter's Mill (now Coloma) led to the platting of the town. Sacramento was made the state capital in 1854. Points of interest include the capitol building, Sutter's Fort, and the Crocker Art Gallery.
The Sacramento river, at about 380 miles, is the longest river of California.
I just had to include this shot of the golden arches of Tower Bridge, over the Sacramento River. this bridge opens to... more travel advice
Not an easy building to photograph, mainly because of the tall trees. Also, I arrived quite early in the morning, and... more travel advice
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Sacramento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacramento: More Than Just A State Captiol"
- "Six Hours in Sacramento"
- "A Very Nice Community and Climate"
- "The best thing about Sacramento was Jeannette1"
- "SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sacramento
- Hotels in Sacramento
- Transportation in Sacramento
- Nightlife in Sacramento
- Restaurants in Sacramento
- Shopping in Sacramento
- Warnings and Dangers in Sacramento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sacramento
- 24 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (64)
Have you been to Sacramento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sacramento
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Quick, Open the Pub......"
- updated a Sacramento Travel Page "Six Hours in Sacramento"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Some more photos of Sacramento"
- Wrote a Review Tower Bridge about Along the Rivers in Sacramento Favorites
- Commented on one of Jeannette1's Sacramento travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues