Altarnun Favorite Tips by Geoff_Wright Top 5 Page for this destination
Altarnun Favorites: 9 reviews and 9 photos
Fondest memory: 'Blackie' and his mistress ride into the village. 'Blackie' is 19 years old, and still enjoying life in the countryside.
Village War Memorial
Favorite thing: Situated on the edge of the Penpont Water, opposite St Nonna's Church, is the village War Memorial, made of local Cornish granite, and dedicated to those members of the local community who gave their lives in the World Wars.
The Village Post Office
Favorite thing: I suppose one of the main things that holds a village together is its shop. Our village shop is in decline, and the Post Office service is now under investigation (??).The Post Office (in this picture) closed some time ago, and has just re-opened in the Village Hall, under 'New Management'!
Fondest memory: Altarnun is the second largest Parish in Cornwall.
Fondest memory: <font face=algerian color=red size=+2>A</font><b><font color=green> beautiful green tree in he early winter. But it is clad in Ivy, which, contrary to what people may say, will eventually kill the tree prematurely.</font>
Fondest memory: <font face=algerian color=magenta size=+1>This</font><b><font color=blue> is the old packhorse bridge over the 'Penpont Water', the river that runs through the village. On the other side of this bridge used to be a ford, but that has now been replaced with a rather non-descript concrete bridge.
Fondest memory: <font face=algerian color=magenta size=+1>St Nonna's Church</font><B><font color=blue> is known as the 'Cathedral of the Moor'. It is one of the best known village churches in cornwall, and has carved bench-ends dating from the 15th century. I hope to show some of these carvings in a Travelogue.
St Nonna's Church
Favorite thing: The church of St Nonna is known locally as the 'Cathedral of the Moor'. It was made even more well-known by Daphne duMaurier through her novel 'Jamaica Inn'
Fondest memory: You should arrange to look inside the church. especially at the ancient wooden bench ends, all 15th century.
Favorite thing: Unlike many other villages, most of the cottages are inhabited all year long.
Fondest memory: Every cottage has a past to tell!
More Reviews (16)
- See All Davidstow Airfield and Cornwall at War...
- See All Unwelcome Visitors
- See All The Local Transportation
- See All Who Delivers my VT Post Cards?
- Local Shopping
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Altarnun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Altarnun, North Cornwall"
- "Home of 'Sir' Geoff Wright"
- "VT Meeting"
- "Altarnun Trewint five Lanes and Treween"
- "One of England's prettiest Villages"
- "Geoff_Wright's beautiful village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Altarnun
- Hotels in Altarnun
- Transportation in Altarnun
- Nightlife in Altarnun
- Restaurants in Altarnun
- Shopping in Altarnun
- Warnings and Dangers in Altarnun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Altarnun
- 24 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 77 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (67)
Have you been to Altarnun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Altarnun
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Very large numbers"
- Commented on one of Geoff_Wright's Altarnun travel pages
- Wrote a Review Davidstow Airfield and Cornwall at War Museum in Altarnun Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Little Flying Kiwi's visit to Cornwall March - May"
- updated a Altarnun Travelogue "Little Flying Kiwi's visit to Cornwall March - May"
Photos in AltarnunSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues