"Mevagissey, Cornwall" Top 5 Page for this destination Mevagissey by Geoff_Wright
Mevagissey Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 115 photos
Situated on the South Cornish coast is Mevagissey. This quaint Cornish town used to be so important to the fishing industry that it used to be known as 'Fishygissey' 50 or 60 years ago. Nowadays it is a beautiful place to wander around, or just sit and watch the activities in the harbour. Anyone who visits Mevagissey cannot but wonder at its narrow streets and passages. Its cottages perched at crazy angles, remain as relics of the days when pilchard-seine fishing and smuggling were its main activities. Nowadays it is the tourist who pack into the small town, to browse through the quaint and curious shops, or just to sit by the harbourside, watching the pleasure boats and fishing craft go about their business.
The parish church, St Peter's, id dedicated to Saints Mewa and Issey, from whence the name of Mevagissey is derived. A Celtic 'Lan' (a monastic enclosure) was established here about 550, when the monk Moroch built a wattle oratory and cell, which was later succeeded by a wooden building. The first church of stone was erected about 950. This Saxon building was rebuilt about 1100 under the Norman Bishop of Exeter. It was rebuilt again in1259, added to in about 1450, and the final restoration was in 1887.
My first recollection of Mevagissey was in about 1949, when the port was still heavily involved in fishing. Even as a toddler, I remember sitting on a bench, on the quayside, eating a Walls' Ice Cream (they used to be wrapped in a greasproof paper, with blue printing!!), looking out into the inner harbour, where my elder brothers used to swim during the War, when they lived here. The bench has gone, and the stone wall behind it, replaced by a 'modern' shop of some sort. But the memories remain.
A great way to see Mevagissey is by arriving in your own boat. There are a few moorings inside the Outer Harbour (these... more travel advice
Whenever you visit Mevagissey you will always find something different; the state of the tide, weather, or just... more travel advice
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Mevagissey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mevagissey, Cornwall"
- "Classic Cornish Coastal Village"
- "A Quaint Fishing village"
- "Mevagissey Harbour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mevagissey
- Hotels in Mevagissey
- Transportation in Mevagissey
- Nightlife in Mevagissey
- Restaurants in Mevagissey
- Shopping in Mevagissey
- Warnings and Dangers in Mevagissey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mevagissey
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Mevagissey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mevagissey
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues