"A Day in The Garden of Eden" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Austell by Geoff_Wright

Saint Austell Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 239 photos

The Big Story of a Small clay Pit

The South Cornish town of Saint Austell is'n really famous for anything much that I know of. It's a place that visitors usually just pass through, on their way down to Penzance, or other more interesting places. However, in 2001 all that began to change, and here follows a little story of how a rather insignificent China Clay Pit that no one had ever heard of, has been transformed into one of the Wonders of the Modern World.

Our visit was on Sunday 9th May 2004. 70 photos to follow, and lots of info too. Just be a little patient please! Thanks.

The project was to construct a botanical garden and education centre within a former china clay quarry. A sheltered micro-climate has now been created since the complex is below the surrounding ground level. The construction of enormous greenhouses (biomes) has enabled large numbers of the worldýs tropical and mediterranean species to be represented within the plantings.

The first part of the development was completed in 2001, but work is continuing on a third Biome, due to be completed in about 2005. The full story starts when you start reading the tips, below.

• Pros:A relaxing half a day out
  • Cons:Rather expensive, we thought, but a one-off visit.
  • Last visit to Saint Austell: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2004

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 6:59 AM

on a future visit to Cornwall, i'll have to request your Guiding services ;-)))

• aaristoteles's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I was also a gardener for 5 years. We built 5 Thermo-houses at 1 ha in Germany. But the vegetations from your fotos are fantastic really like the paradise of Eden

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 10:13 AM

The Horse sculpture is very clever, and very well done. I have a photo of one in Calgary, a Draught Horse, made out of bits of metal. Nice gardens.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Fascinating tips on the Eden Project (which I must admit I had never heard of before). Glad to hear it has been such a success and is beefing up the Cornish economy, and providing employment.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2008 at 10:40 AM

This interesting site seems worth a visit! I can just imagine the wonderful scent hanging in the air of the Tropical Biosphere.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 1:21 PM

So, where are Adam and Eve in this garden? Hey? No fig leaves? I have a fig tree in my garden. Do you want me to send you a fig tree?

• FinePickens's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 3:43 PM

Geoff, what a project. This certainly is a must see for me, when I get to Cornwall.

• ocean_fire's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 12:55 PM

hmmm...I think I saw a familiar face talking to a horse...hehe. By the way, I think you have loads of pics of Julian at Eden as he has many of you from there. Could you snd a few our way by email..pleeeease:O) Hugs, Julie

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2005 at 4:48 AM

Excellent coverage. (Only a few weeks to go)

• DUNK67's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 8:03 AM

interesting page geoff. i hope to revisit in september.

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Saint Austell

Have you been to Saint Austell?

Latest Activity in Saint Austell