Antequera Off The Beaten Path Tips by Geoff_Wright Top 5 Page for this destination
Antequera Off The Beaten Path: 16 reviews and 32 photos
A picture paints a thousand words
You won't find a view like this from the City. On the left, out of site, is the church.
'Follow The Yellow-brick Road
Now I wonder where these two are off to? Still in this hidden garden.
I couldn't resist a picture of this aloe, and wasn't thinking about the rest of the view. Nice, isn't it?
A 'lost' Garden!
Whilst walking up to the old castle, my son Jaymes experienced his first major bout of vertigo! Even though the path is completely safe (excepting the building work), it does camber quite steeply in places, and Jaymes found himself laying in a gully at the path's side! I thought he was joking, but he was quite stressed. Even Mary had no trouble walking the path, but then she was on a flatter surface!
We were amased to find these wonderful gardens hidden away behind the buildings.
Walk up around the row of cottages, and you come to the ancient wall and the castle 'keep' (square tower). This area was being rebuilt, and laying around the site were these large white marble troughs. This one was broken, unfortunately, but there were others in better condition, obviously discovered during the excavations.
There are several houses inside the compound, and most have been carefully rebuilt or renovated. The occupants are very proud of their houses, and often leave the outer doors open, enabling you to peep inside the colourful entarance areas, usually beautifully tiled.
Inside the Castello complex
There are two really nice places to see that could be overlooked. One is the Roman ruins, a little out of town, and the other is the very old Castle. Due to the closeness of the buildings at street level you may not see the walls of the castle. We asked someone for the 'Castello', and the entrance gate, the Arco de las Gigantes, was literally 50 yards away!
More Reviews (14)
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Antequera Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antequera - En el Corazon de Andalucia"
- "ANTEQUERA 'THE HEART OF ANDALUCIA'"
- "Beautiful Antequera"
- "Antequera and beautiful Torcal Nature park"
- "Antequera (Malaga) The City of Art"
- "Beach_dogs Antequera Page"
- "Antequera, still undiscovered by mass tourism"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antequera
- Hotels in Antequera
- Transportation in Antequera
- Nightlife in Antequera
- Restaurants in Antequera
- Shopping in Antequera
- Warnings and Dangers in Antequera
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gudur Hotels
- Mourne Mountains Hotels
- Melk Hotels
- Santee Hotels
- Grass Valley Off The Beaten Path
- Lincoln Off The Beaten Path
- Magog Off The Beaten Path
- Ronda Off The Beaten Path
- Krakow Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Louis Off The Beaten Path
- Houston Off The Beaten Path
- King's Lynn Off The Beaten Path
- Peñíscola Off The Beaten Path
- Paros Off The Beaten Path
- Forests & lakes
- Trabzon Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Antequera
- 21 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Antequera?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antequera
Photos in AntequeraSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 23 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (172)
Latest Antequera hotel reviews
- Antequera Golf
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Las Villas De Antikaria
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Hospederia Colon Antequera
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 3, 2013
- Casa Del Conde De Pinofiel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Finca Eslava
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Castilla Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013