"Our Day Trip to Tangier" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier by Geoff_Wright
Tangier Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,136 photos
We had wanted to see Tangier, but couldn't make our minds up whether to go for a day trip, or take advantage of the two-day mini tours which can be had for less than 100 Euros. As Mary hadn't travelled much on coaches and ships previously, we opted for a one day mini tour, which, as it turned out, was just right for us.
Having been in Oman previously, I had some idea what the old city would be like, and I was not disappointed. I say 'not disappointed' because it was more or less just what I expected it to be. Mary thought otherwise, of course, never having previously experienced travel of this nature
I have to say that Tangier was very much as I had expected - and hoped it would be. My page here is written as I saw the city, and is not meant to be at all detrimental to the inhabitants of Tangier. In fact, they were all very friendly, if rather buisness-like!
Tangier is in Northern Morocco, on the Straits of Gibraltar. The city is almost totally without manufacturing industries, but has a very active port. We noticed many ship movements, both cruise ships and merchant vessels. The walled Moorish town adjoins a modern European garden suburb, which is split into 'Colonial' regions; Spanish, French, American and so on. Each has its own style of architecture. Tangier was probably founded by the Phoenicians. The chief port and commercial centre of Morocco until the founding (in 808) of Fez, it had previously been under the rule of the Romans, and later of the Portuguese and English. By the mid-19th century it had become the diplomatic centre of Morocco. When the rest of the country was divided between Spainis and French protectorates in 1912, the status of Tangier remained vague. Finally, in 1923-24, the city was included in an international zone administered by Spain, France and Britain. tangier remained under international control until 1956, when it returned to Morocco.
Here's a snapshot, taken from the minibus window, of one of the many square towered ( minaret) Mosques. Sorry about the quality of the picture. Apparently, so our guide Mohammed told us, Morocco is rather unique in having square towered minarets, instead of the usual rounded ones. I'm not sure why this is.
- Pros:If you are in Southern Spain, try to visit for at least a day
- Cons:Be aware of the 'hard sell'. That's really what your organised tour is all about!
- In a nutshell:Go there and soak up the Arabic flavour. You'll love it!
After our meal and a whistle-stop tour of the souk, we headed back to meet up with our minibus. Even walking along one... more travel advice
Look at all these fabulous fabrics. Good job there wasn't time to stop, or the ladies would have spent all their time... more travel advice
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Tangier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Better surroundings than the city itself"
- "Memories of Tangier"
- "Tangier, a street corner where Europe meets Africa"
- "OUR TANGIER "EXPERIENCE""
- "Our Day Trip to Tangier"
- "Keeweechic's Tangier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tangier
- Hotels in Tangier
- Transportation in Tangier
- Nightlife in Tangier
- Restaurants in Tangier
- Shopping in Tangier
- Warnings and Dangers in Tangier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tangier
- 27 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Tangier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tangier
Photos in TangierSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 23 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues