"Our Day Trip to Tangier" Top 5 Page for this destination Tangier by Geoff_Wright

Tangier Travel Guide: 477 reviews and 1,136 photos

A Foot into Africa

We had wanted to see Tangier, but couldn't make our minds up whether to go for a day trip, or take advantage of the two-day mini tours which can be had for less than 100 Euros. As Mary hadn't travelled much on coaches and ships previously, we opted for a one day mini tour, which, as it turned out, was just right for us.
Having been in Oman previously, I had some idea what the old city would be like, and I was not disappointed. I say 'not disappointed' because it was more or less just what I expected it to be. Mary thought otherwise, of course, never having previously experienced travel of this nature
I have to say that Tangier was very much as I had expected - and hoped it would be. My page here is written as I saw the city, and is not meant to be at all detrimental to the inhabitants of Tangier. In fact, they were all very friendly, if rather buisness-like!

Tangier is in Northern Morocco, on the Straits of Gibraltar. The city is almost totally without manufacturing industries, but has a very active port. We noticed many ship movements, both cruise ships and merchant vessels. The walled Moorish town adjoins a modern European garden suburb, which is split into 'Colonial' regions; Spanish, French, American and so on. Each has its own style of architecture. Tangier was probably founded by the Phoenicians. The chief port and commercial centre of Morocco until the founding (in 808) of Fez, it had previously been under the rule of the Romans, and later of the Portuguese and English. By the mid-19th century it had become the diplomatic centre of Morocco. When the rest of the country was divided between Spainis and French protectorates in 1912, the status of Tangier remained vague. Finally, in 1923-24, the city was included in an international zone administered by Spain, France and Britain. tangier remained under international control until 1956, when it returned to Morocco.

Here's a snapshot, taken from the minibus window, of one of the many square towered ( minaret) Mosques. Sorry about the quality of the picture. Apparently, so our guide Mohammed told us, Morocco is rather unique in having square towered minarets, instead of the usual rounded ones. I'm not sure why this is.

• Pros:If you are in Southern Spain, try to visit for at least a day
  • Cons:Be aware of the 'hard sell'. That's really what your organised tour is all about!
  • In a nutshell:Go there and soak up the Arabic flavour. You'll love it!
  • Last visit to Tangier: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 29, 2004

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 8:37 AM

like your pages thanks.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Is it possible to visit Tangier without an organized tour? Just hop on a fast ferry and get over there and hang out? That is what I want to do - very funny that you have to pay a fee to watch someone have a snake around his neck!

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Interesting tips! Thank you. I'm trying to write some of my own.

• funkymama's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 12:50 PM

this palace is from the aunt of his majesty king MohammedV.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 2:15 PM

Tangiers--how exotic! The snake creeped me out, though! Thanks for sharing your pics!!

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 8:52 PM

Geoff, I enjoyed ur Tangier page. I think I heard about the place from a city b4. Bourne Supremacy, I think. Well, Morocco has always been on my 'hit list'! Ciao.

• bliss7's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2005 at 7:27 AM

From the looks of it, I ate in the same restaurant! When I was there, I noticed that there were no Moroccans eating, just another group of Americans!

• Luisanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2005 at 10:33 AM

I wished I could have gone to this city with the rest of the tour group but they left without me :-(( maybe next time! LOL

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 1:06 PM

Wow, I enjoyed your page, from the very beginning till end. Lots of interesting infos, nice photos - great, in one word. Very useful for me, cos I'm going to visit Moroco in present year.

• percy961's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2004 at 2:10 AM

Enjoyed visiting your pages

Geoff_Wright

“ Sometimes just let your heart rule your head!”

Badges & Stats in Tangier

Have you been to Tangier?

Latest Activity in Tangier