Rustaq Favorite Tips by Geoff_Wright
Rustaq Favorites: 5 reviews and 5 photos
Batinah Coast Fisherman
Favorite thing: Another photo, not of Rustaq, but the Batinah Coast. Mind you, you had to travel along this coast to get to Rustaq!
This is a typical Arab fishing boat and its proud owner. There is a better full view of an Omani fishing boat on my Oman page, but I think the boat in this picture was of a larger type.
Colourful local family
Favorite thing: I'm not sure where this photo was take, but not really Rustaq. I believe it was on the Batinah Coast somewhere. However, it is - or was - typical of a proud Omani family.
Sunrise on Jabal Sham
Favorite thing: I really have to see if this fine old fort is still standing. It was probably damaged in the Jabal Akhdar War, in the late 1950's, so only 20 years before I took the picture. So, 26 years further on, is it still standing? I hope to find out soon.
Fondest memory: Oh, and by the way, Jabal Sham means 'The mountain of the Sun'
View of Jabal Sham
Favorite thing: After Rustaq, the graded tracks disappeared, and you had to find your own way. I will always remember this picture being take, as we had reached the end of the 'road', and stopped off at a local house, for a drink of tea!
The magnificent Jabal Sham
Favorite thing: Rustaq meaning 'Market Town', served as the Omani capital for around 150 years. It is still a major administrative centre, with a population of about 60,000 in and around the city.
Fondest memory: Rustaq to me was the entry point into the interior. The road from the coast to Rustaq was only a graded track, but quite a good surface, and reasonably fast. Today Rustaq is served by a dual carriageway, roundabouts and traffic lights!
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Rustaq Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rustaq - The former Capital of Oman"
- "Protecting the healing waters"
- See All...
Explore the World
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Davao Hotels
- Grand Cayman Hotels
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
- Paris Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Bacolod City
- Baclaran Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Tai Po Hotels
- Boon Lay Hotels
- Cheras Hotels
- Laoag City
- Santo Domingo Hotels
- La Spezia
- Ottawa Hotels
- Prague Hotels
- Puerto Rico
Badges & Stats in Rustaq
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Rustaq?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rustaq
Photos in RustaqSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 23 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues