"Rustaq - The former Capital of Oman" Rustaq by Geoff_Wright
Rustaq Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
I remember Rustaq very well, even after so many years away. When I first went out to Oman I was stationed near the Airport, at Muaskar Al-Murtafa'a (which, if I remember correctly means 'The Camp on the Hill'). anyway, the Force Standing Orders for British personnel stated that we could go out of camp and turn right for Muscat, some 20 miles or so away, without the need for 'escorts, radios and weapons'. If, however, we turned left, we were expected to be fully armed! so, off we went to Rustaq, with our sub machine guns, and live ammunition. How foolish we felt, walking around armed to the teeth in that delightful place. That was the first and last time I was ever armed during my tour of duty. These 'orders' were a left-over from the Jabal Akhdar war, of 1956! But, of course, there was still a real live war down in the South, in Dhofar, against the Yemeni tribesmen!
Rustaq meaning 'Market Town', served as the Omani capital for around 150 years. It is still a major administrative... more travel advice
I really have to see if this fine old fort is still standing. It was probably damaged in the Jabal Akhdar War, in the... more travel advice
Geoff_Wright's Related Pages
Rustaq Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rustaq - The former Capital of Oman"
- "Protecting the healing waters"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rustaq
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Rustaq?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rustaq
Photos in RustaqSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- United Kingdom Intro, 25 reviews, 156 photos, 12 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 30 reviews, 68 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albufeira Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Altarnun Intro, 24 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oman Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harpers Ferry Intro, 34 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Holsworthy Intro, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portland Intro, 31 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Plymouth Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 12 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues