"aramat's new Macao Page" Macao by aramat
Macao Travel Guide: 1,905 reviews and 5,772 photos
Macao was the oldest permanent European settlement in East Asia, established by the Portuguese in 1557. It began its history as Portuguese colony, became a free port in 1849, got established as a Chinese territory under Portuguese administration in 1974, and has been a Special Administrative Region under Chinese sovereignty since the end of 1999.
During the centuries it became closely associated with illegal gambling and smuggling. Today the traditional fishing and the newer manufacturing industries are supplemented by tourism and gambling casinos (the tourism authorities make a very serious effort to reposition Macao as a cultural and heritage destination as opposed to a gamblers' paradise).
The name of the settlement comes from the 14th century A-Ma temple (A-Ma-gau meaning A-Ma's bay).
- Pros:Atmosphere, architecture, attractions
- Cons:Lack of terraces, street cafes, etc. (in the heat, it would be nice to have more opportunities for a break and a drink)
- In a nutshell:Exciting blend of Portuguese and Chinese cultures
Macao is famous for its casinos which offer a wide range of games such as baccarat, blackjack, roulette, boule, fan tan,... more travel advice
The central area of the peninsula is hilly, but it's worth to walk up and down to forts, temples and churches. As I was... more travel advice
Written Oct 19, 2003
Lou Lim Ioc Garden
Written Oct 21, 2003
Cemeterio S. Miguel (St. Michael cemetery)
aramat's Related Pages
Macao Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IMPREXXION: MACAU"
- "Bem-Vindo a Macau - Welcome to Macau"
- "Macau - former Portuguese Colony"
- "Portuguese Heritage"
- "aramat's new Macao Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Macao
- Hotels in Macao
- Transportation in Macao
- Nightlife in Macao
- Restaurants in Macao
- Shopping in Macao
- Warnings and Dangers in Macao
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macao
- 28 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Macao?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macao
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Graz Intro, 38 reviews, 40 photos
- Macao Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Bali Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trinidad Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Budapest Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Cuba Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos