"Don't cry because it is over..." Santorini Island by Gwynneth
Santorini Island Travel Guide: 1,604 reviews and 5,124 photos
In her own magical, ever changing way... Santorini mysteriously stays the same. Aguably the most gorgeous Greek island in the Agean.
Santorini was named by the Venetians in the 13th century after Saint Irene and still bears a controversial link to Atlantis.
Santorini's first inhabitants were the Minoans in 3000 BC. Santorini was one of the last of the Cyclades to fall to Turkish rule however, in 1832, Santorini and the other Cyclades Islands united to become a Greek State.
Santorini is a large cresent-shaped island bay, the largest caldera on earth (7x14 miles). There are also four much smaller islands called Thirassia, Nea Kameni, Palia Kameni and Aspronisi.
The magic of Santorini depends on light and line after all there is minimal vegetation and charmless bland volcanic earth makes up the substance of the island. That's what makes these photo's so breathtaking!
- Pros:Justin's been there
- Cons:I haven't
- In a nutshell:More than a place on my wish list!
Big crowds in summer (July to August), especially in Oia. Book your holiday outside July and August. more travel advice
The bright summer sun sets brilliantly in the horizon, seemingly melting into the sea. The scene is such that it is... more travel advice
Gwynneth's Related Pages
Santorini Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awarded FIRST Most Beautiful Island for 2011!"
- "SMALL ISLAND - BIG WOW !!!!"
- "Cycladean Splendour"
- "Sunshine and Sunset in Santorini"
- "The spirit of Love!"
- "Santorini – A photographer’s dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santorini Island
- Hotels in Santorini Island
- Transportation in Santorini Island
- Nightlife in Santorini Island
- Restaurants in Santorini Island
- Shopping in Santorini Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Santorini Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Santorini Island
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Santorini Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santorini Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "RE: Very Sad News"
- updated a Santorini Island Travel Page "Don't cry because it is over..."
- Commented on one of catsuha's Santorini Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review What happened to the quiet! in Santorini Island Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "What happened to the quiet!"
Photos in Santorini IslandSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Perth Intro, 36 reviews, 75 photos, 4 travelogues
- Subiaco Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia and Oceania Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Cairo Intro, 10 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Broome Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Thailand Intro, 9 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (32)
Latest Santorini Island hotel reviews
- Sea of Aegeon
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2013
- Argo Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Iliovasilema Hotel Apartments
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Daedalus Hotel
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Alexandra Hotel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 8, 2013
- El Greco Hotel and Apartments Santorini
- 455 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Artemis Villas
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Thalassa Sea Side Resort & Suites
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Sun Rocks Traditional Residences Santorini
- 203 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Best Western Kallisti Thera Hotel
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Cliff Side Suites
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Sunny Villas
- 201 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Vedema Resort
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Zorzis Hotel
- 364 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Arapiou Apartments
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013