"Swept away by Broome." Top 5 Page for this destination Broome by Gwynneth

Broome Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 425 photos

Superb + Spectacular + Stressfree = Perfection

Its the middle of winter in Perth at this time of year and for a summer baby like me, its about all I can take of the rain, cold and clouds. So what do you do to shake the winter blues?! Book a weekend to Broome of course!! Its always summer in Broome and winter is the perfect time to experience its sensational beach surroundings without the rain and humidity of summer.

Where is it?

You'll find Broome 2200km north of the Perth. The Port of Broome is situated at Entrance Point, on the tip of the Broome peninsula, 9km south of the town. Broome became a town in 1884 and five years later they established the Port there.

There are two main beaches in Broome that run down either side of the peninsula one is Town Beach and the other is the more well known Cable Beach. Town Beach has a 900m jetty (you can see it in the aerial photo) that was built in 1896 to compensate for the enormous tide differences. Once the jetty was complete ships no longer had to wait for high tide to come into Port.

My family... my other reason for visiting Broome

We've grown from one to six! Its taken a while, but its best not to rush a good thing! :o) Dad has never been one to hurry... my brother takes after him, that's not all bad, unless you're waiting to use the bathroom!!

My brother Chris and new sister-in-law Wendy are lucky enough to have both found work in this beautiful part of the world. Chris - chief pilot of a local airline and Wendy - doctor for the local Broome community and remote rural areas.

It's all about timing and as my parents are currently up there helping run a health program for six weeks, my daughter and I thought it a perfect opportunity for a family gathering.

• Pros:Sun, sand and relaxed people everywhere
  • Cons:Booking a weekend... when really you want to stay a week!
  • In a nutshell:More than pearls and headstones.
  • Last visit to Broome: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2005

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Have yet to make it to Broome. The photo's always make it look so appealing.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 11:04 PM

Excellent tips. I'm researching for next year's trip.

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2006 at 4:32 PM

One day I WILL get over to Broome :) So many places to see!!

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Thanks for the interesting tips and photos about broome. I have always wanted to visit broome and the kimberley region which my australian friend said is the best kept secret of australia :)

• saraheg77's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2006 at 4:42 AM

Great to meet you in Melb! Wow - we have really got to get to WA! Broome looks lovely! Thanks for the tips!

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 11:30 PM

Beautiful pictures love! No, it's not fantastic we've got all those feral camels, they're not good for Australia. : ) You look very cute going for your bike ride!

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 1:37 AM

A great start on Broome page.. Seems like we both have had a ride on camel lately in Australia :) Just got back from Au.. had a fantastic time!! Splendid continent.. My 4th time visiting :)

Gwynneth

“Heart makes it start... passion makes it happen... drive keeps it alive.”

Badges & Stats in Broome